xbox 360 hdd replacement?

elmer91

i was given an xbox that was red ringed last weekend, and it came with nothing (no cables, hdd, controllers, etc). i got everything but a hard drive, because the one my friend gave me is bad. The hard drive for the xbox is just a SATA laptop hdd. i have 2 of these at my house that i can use, and both work. I know it has to be possible to use one as my new hdd, but how do i do this?

i do have a cable to connect the hdd to my xbox, and have an external enclosure to connect it to my computer.

elmer91

well, in related news, it just red ringed. again. so, if you know how to do this, i would still like to know. in the mean time, my friend says there is something else that can be done.

JlCollins005

if i remember correctly only certain hard drives work, i believe its a couple dif western digital hard drives, so not just any sata drive will do you will need to google to see which model hdd's are compatible and then google how to do it, i know its not a simple process like just plugging it in there are certain things that have to be done to the drive before hand

elmer91

from the sounds of it, it isnt worth the trouble. if this xbox ends up working, i'll just get me another drive from an xbox

JlCollins005

pretty sure you can pick up a 20gb drive from a local gamestop pretty cheap, my cousin just got a 20gb from there for like 15 bucks i think it was a sale but they cant be much more than that