Xbox 360 "Zephyr?" WTF?!?!?

Pck21

Hey remember, not too long ago, when you shelled out either $299-$399 of you're hard earned cash on an Xbox 360 recently or a year ago? Well guess how Microsoft is rewarding us loyal customers? By coming out with a new version of 360 that has a bigger hard drive, an hd-dvd player, an HDMI slot, and it is rumored to retail at $599, making your new shiny Xbox 360 obsolete. Well I don't know about the rest of you but I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

So rumor has it, on the internet and retail stores around the country, that a new version of the Xbox 360, code named "Zephyr", will be re-launched and appearing in November to coincide with the release of Halo 3. Not only that, a friend of mine who works at Best Buy received a memo that the Core and Premium Xbox 360's that are currently out will drop by $100 each. I am outraged to say the least. So I spent $500 for a console and a game that will now be obsolete within the coming months just because Microsoft wants to have a d*** length contest with Sony? Thanks.

The new "Zephyr" is supposed to be black in color with a new 120GB hdd, hd-dvd player, and a new HDMI support for full 1080p hd. Why wasn't this available when the 360 launched a year ago? This is unfair! I bought the "premium" edition because I thought I was getting "more", but instead I bought a middle of the road console. Thanks Mr. Gates.

You know I wouldn't have a problem with it if M$ came out and said that we could trade in the consoles we have now, pay a small fee, and get it upgraded. You know, because WE made the 360 sell like hot cakes. WE were the ones who moved the bottom line for this company and this is how we are repaid!?!?

Is anybody else as mad as I am???

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEylpyZkVpwzemjZKk.php
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/the-second-xbox-360-revealed-codename-zephyr/

TheOrangeDude

599 cdn? that totally rip off for most of us who purches it up till now. well for most of new version of 360's feature I only look forward to the hdmi which can lay out full 1080p. other then that mostly I can do everything with my current 360. the bigger hardrive is really up to no use at all. I just install a 250gb for my 360 a while ago. and the hd dvd is an optional stuff get it if u like. the comes the best thing about the new version reducing heat issue, but for those like me who installed a water cooler its not a problem any more. maybe ms should include a trade in feature so we the old 360 owner could trade in our old one for the new one, but not going to bother me since I will keep my current as the watercooler I added is expansive as hell.

Pck21

599 cdn? that totally rip off for most of us who purches it up till now. well for most of new version of 360's feature I only look forward to the hdmi which can lay out full 1080p. other then that mostly I can do everything with my current 360. the bigger hardrive is really up to no use at all. I just install a 250gb for my 360 a while ago. and the hd dvd is an optional stuff get it if u like. the comes the best thing about the new version reducing heat issue, but for those like me who installed a water cooler its not a problem any more. maybe ms should include a trade in feature so we the old 360 owner could trade in our old one for the new one, but not going to bother me since I will keep my current as the watercooler I added is expansive as hell.

No not $599 Canadian; $599 US. I'm still upset about it though. How did you get a 250GB hd on your 360?

gdehmlow

If what you say is true, then the new "Zephyr" will basically give you a 3rd option for what you want. Honestly do you really need 120gb of storage? Do you need an HD-DVD player?

And the 360 already has 1080p support, it was a firmware update. So it all depends if you have a HD-TV and you need the extra storage.

I am in no way mad about this, I don't have an expensive 1080p television nor do I need the 120 gb of storage. I payed $400 for a machine that plays really fun great looking games.

Pck21

If what you say is true, then the new "Zephyr" will basically give you a 3rd option for what you want. Honestly do you really need 120gb of storage? Do you need an HD-DVD player?

And the 360 already has 1080p support, it was a firmware update. So it all depends if you have a HD-TV and you need the extra storage.

I am in no way mad about this, I don't have an expensive 1080p television nor do I need the 120 gb of storage. I payed $400 for a machine that plays really fun great looking games.

But the component cables supplied with the premium edition only support 720p, as all component hd cables do, as far as I know anyway. I thought only HDMI supported 1080i and 1080p.

I do have an hd tv and I do care if I can push my tv and console to their full potential, otherwise it's a waste of money in my eyes. Well I don't need the hd-dvd player, but the extra storage would be nice to have. 120GB is a little overkill, but the fact that they are adding it NOW seems unfair. If this new system was out at the time of launch, I would have bought that one because it's the best. I feel like I got screwed over because I was the one who chose to buy a 360 and the games along with it which lines MS's pockets. If I had KNOWN previously that they were going to release the new one later, I would have waited. I feel deceived.

speedyink

VIP Member
$599?? Gee, now doesn't that sound just like another console that everyone is bashing because of the price. One of two things will happen, 1. Xbox fanboys loose one of the biggest arguments against the PS3, or 2. The "Zephyr" 360 will be shunned like the PS3 is now.

Pck21

serves you all right for wanting to be the first to have a 360 :D
im happy with my normal xbox

Does it really? What if Microsoft had announced in 2005 that they were going to release this console in 2007? What would have happened to their sales then? I know I would have waited until this year to get one. With consoles, I believed it was better to buy the best because a new one won't be out for another 5-6 years. I guess I was wrong. I guess I have to wait to buy the best. If that trend catches on, the launch of a console will no longer be a party. It may even put a huge black eye and red mark on the gaming industry as a whole. It's bad business from an unethical company.

gdehmlow

But the component cables supplied with the premium edition only support 720p, as all component hd cables do, as far as I know anyway. I thought only HDMI supported 1080i and 1080p.

I do have an hd tv and I do care if I can push my tv and console to their full potential, otherwise it's a waste of money in my eyes. Well I don't need the hd-dvd player, but the extra storage would be nice to have. 120GB is a little overkill, but the fact that they are adding it NOW seems unfair. If this new system was out at the time of launch, I would have bought that one because it's the best. I feel like I got screwed over because I was the one who chose to buy a 360 and the games along with it which lines MS's pockets. If I had KNOWN previously that they were going to release the new one later, I would have waited. I feel deceived.

Wait is your tv 720p or 1080i? Because the Xbox 360 does support those resolutions for sure and thats what most mainstream HDTVs are nowadays... it also seems just a revitalization of the 360 brand, to get more people to buy it who didn't before.

Well just remember we for buying a Xbox 360 got betrayed and left dead by the company responsible.

I can see the Playstation 3 wiping MS out again nice move Bill Gates:rolleyes:

And oh if you do read this feel free to prove me wrong i mean making a better version of your 360 and then leaving your customers who bought the old ones left in the corner that is a bad business move and when The PS3 kicks off its going to cost you Bill. You make to many mistakes do you seriously think people can keep forking out £300 - £500 every year

Last edited:

bigsaucybob

I think Microsoft knows what we are feeling. By "we" I mean people who went out and bought the Premium. I think they will offer some sort of upgrade plan, in which you only pay around $150 or something, send in your old console and get a new one.

PohTayToez

The hard drive on the 360 is removable, so they'll surely release a larger harddrive to buy separately... and they already have an attachment to pay HDDVDs... so your 360 is not obsolete... you'll just have to pay the extra money now instead of when you bought your XBox.

joeswm8

WOOOOOOO

the premium is dropping by 100 at halo 3's release, i was waiting for this!

my waiting has worked!

PohTayToez

I think I'm pretty close to breaking down and buying one... I'm really cheap when it comes to big ticket items... I prefer to get them after they've become outdated, i.e. I didn't get an XBox until the 360 was released.

Archangel

VIP Member
just wondering... but why? what would make that zephyr better than the normal one? its not like it has more RAM-memory, better graphics or a faster CPU. what im saying, its not like the 360 will be outdated suddenly or so,.. this is just another version of the 360, you could see it as the premium pro pack or so, because it comes with all the addidtions you can buy for the 360 already built in.

Pck21

Wait is your tv 720p or 1080i? Because the Xbox 360 does support those resolutions for sure and thats what most mainstream HDTVs are nowadays... it also seems just a revitalization of the 360 brand, to get more people to buy it who didn't before.

Mine's 1080i and no more than like a month old too. I was always under the impression that component cables can only handle up to 720p while HDMI supports up to 1080p. Am I wrong?

TheOrangeDude

the upgrade throught live not few monthes ago for 1080p out put really just putting ur picture from lower HD and emulated it to 1080p but the fact is that altho it said it was display 1080p on ur console but really its not it. the only way to really obtain true 1080P is though HDMI out put from 360. my current sharp 42" can display up to 1080p but when I try a game for example lost planet which claim to have 1080p output but when I put it on 1080p there really just no difference from playing on a 720p. which is why they added the new HDMI to support true 1080p for new version 360. And pck you can go check out most of the xbox forums online, most of them should have some info about how to diy ur hardrive. it ain't that difficult.

codeman0013

Its not like the 360's we have will be no good they will still play the same games and if you want the hd drive you can always shell out the cash for one whoop de do who cares if its black all the new games will still play just fine on my grey one and if i wanted to i would take the sides off and paint them black but color doesnt matter to me.