Xbox LAN

g4m3rof1337

I bought a crossover cable. Connected an xbox and an xbox 360 with two copies of halo 2 to a 24 port switch. And attached an ethernet cable that gave internet.

I ended up system linking the two xbox's together, cause the switch was confusing.

For the LAN, do I connect my xbox to the 1st port with the crossover cable, and everyone else connects in different ports? And then what do I do?

Thanks

tlarkin

VIP Member
cross over cables are only used in direct nic to nic connections, for hooking it up to a switch you want to use patch cables.

M0ddingMan1a

just use a regular cable, no crossover. it doesnt matter wat port u plug it in, just dont plug it in the internet port. port directly into the router and ur set to go. thats how the xbox works, if thats wrong, feel free to correct me. but i've lanned like that many times, and thats how it worked.

g4m3rof1337

I might just use a regular ethernet, and make myself party leader, and have everyone join my game.

Would we go under multiplayer?
On the menu?

Would that work?

Thanks

g4m3rof1337

I just want to assure myself that everything will set up right.

So any other tips?

And I can use a regular ethernet right?

tlarkin

VIP Member
I am not sure what you are talking about? You just want to network the devices right? That just requires a switch, some patch cables, and to connect everything to the switch via patch cables. Then you must make sure they are all on the same subnet, workgroup, etc.

You may want to toss a router on the set up so it can act as a DHCP server, I am not quite sure how the network settings work on a 360, or how you change them, but I can assume by default it probably uses DHCP.

g4m3rof1337

We would all be connected via regular ethernet cords. To the switch.

Now, connect a router to the switch, via ethernet? What kind? Like wireless/wired connections.

Thanks

tlarkin

VIP Member
yes, simply connect the router to the switch via patch cable, then all your clients to the switch via patch cable and make sure all clients are set to DHCP and then the rest should just work, if people are bringing their computers over to your location you will want them to make sure they join your work group for file sharing.

g4m3rof1337

The pc lan will be in june. this is just xbox's.

How do I know if they are in DHCP?

Thanks.

And nothing just be connected to the router?

It will be a Netgear wireless/wired router.

g4m3rof1337

All that really told me was how to connect an xbox to a network.

I thought I was looking to connect multiple xbox's to a switch.

tlarkin

VIP Member
considering the document says it requires a router, you could safely assume that it does infact run off of DHCP. See how it says it requires an Xbox compatible router in the set up? By default all routers (consumer routers) act as DHCP servers. So, technically each xbox on your LAN should be assigned a different IP, unless MS designed them with non standard networking protocols.

g4m3rof1337

Will my switch be fine?

Or will I have to use my server.
It has ClarkConnect on it. I am going to use this for my Pc LANs. But maybe it will help out for the Xbox LANs to.

Thanks

tlarkin

VIP Member
I strongly suggest you pick up some reading material somewhere to just learn basic networking. I have absolutly no idea how your server is set up, is it acting as a DHCP server?

Most of the questions you ask concerning your set up are basic questions. I am not sure how to answer them because I don't ever networkin Xboxes together, though from what I have read it should work the same I guess.

g4m3rof1337

Yes. My server would be used as a DHCP server.

I am just stressing out, cause now I got more people coming and this is my first LAN so I have to make sure everything works.