Xbox Scorpio LOL

zRetire

Can we please talk about Project Scorpio and how stupid it is

So with e3 coming to a close I wanted to talk about this Project that the Xbox Division had devised. 4K resolution gaming on an Xbox... Yep you heard me... This makes me laugh to. So the machine will have a GTX 980 in it but will be running at 6 teraflops. They are selling the idea to consumers of "MAKING 4K GAMING ACCESSIBLE FOR EVERYONE INSTEAD OF PC USERS WITH THERE FANCY MACHINES." How is microsoft going to be able to have there console run 60 frames at 4K when the Xbox one can barely run games at 1080p 60 fps. For those coming to this thread and wondering about this "cheap" 4K gaming you are wrong.

1. Price
4K res gaming comes at a cost. Project Scorpio claims to have the newer Xbox run a GTX 980. The current price for a regular Xbox one is 300 USD but was 500 USD on initial launch. The GTX 980 is currently $450! So... Microsoft is expected to just sell these consoles at 300 or 500 dollars. Yep in your dreams. You also get to pay for the other hardware in the system (higher to support 4K res) so this "amazing 4K innovative machine" will run around $600 minimum and $1000 maximum

2. PC will always be better
Building a PC is better than a console for these reasons
- No discontinuation of hardware or games
- UNLIMITED backwards compatibility
- YOU DON'T NEED EXPENSIVE HARDWARE
- All done through Steam no need to deal with a Gaming OS like PlayStation or Xbox OS
- VR ready already
- 4K res comes at a cost, but that doesn't mean that you can't game at 150 fps on 1080p or 1440p

A MESSAGE TO ALL FANBOYS OF XBOX! COME JOIN THE MASTER RACE. WE HAVE 4K AND VR READY!

spirit

Staff member
Project Scorpio claims to have the newer Xbox run a GTX 980. The current price for a regular Xbox one is 300 USD but was 500 USD on initial launch. The GTX 980 is currently $450! So... Microsoft is expected to just sell these consoles at 300 or 500 dollars. Yep in your dreams. You also get to pay for the other hardware in the system (higher to support 4K res) so this "amazing 4K innovative machine" will run around $600 minimum and $1000 maximum
So let's get this straight: this new console is rumoured to have a GTX 980, which is now a previous generation product and could really only just play 4K games. They've done it again! They're using last generation hardware in a current generation product! The new GTX 1080 and the new high-end cards from AMD will be much better at playing games in 4K than the previous generation cards were!

As expected, because it was using old and weak hardware when it was launched, in under 3 years the Xbox One has had to be replaced, whereas if you went all out and built a gaming rig with 'no compromises' in November 2013 when the Xbox One was launched it would likely still be perfectly adequate for gaming.

As a console I'm sure it's excellent, but if you want 'no compromises' then I'm sorry, but building your own PC is still your only option. I bet this will be almost as expensive as a good gaming PC too.

Laquer Head

XBone... bwahahahaha

XBone with "4K"... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

2019... So we are launching the new XBox with 980ti for even faster "4K".... :rolleyes:

spirit

Staff member
Am I right in thinking that a single GTX 980 wasn't really enough to play most 4K games maxxed out or even at medium?

Laquer Head

Am I right in thinking that a single GTX 980 wasn't really enough to play most 4K games maxxed out or even at medium?

I was able to play older titles at 4K on Asus monitor with the 980, but honestly with newer titles, the sweet spot with that card was 1440p.

A game like Witcher 3, you ain't maxing anything at 4K with a 980.. but at 1440p and high settings it looks pretty stunning and plays super smooth

Intel_man

VIP Member
Considering the new 1080 chugs along in 4k at only decent fps maxxed out for most titles, the 980 doesn't stand a chance.

Intel_man

VIP Member
People were benchmarking the GTX1080 in maxxed out settings @4k res for a bunch of new games, and it was averaging around 35-50 fps. There were a few outliers that did well, but for the most part, it was so-so.

Mind you this was in maxxed out settings, it'll probably fair a lot better in lower settings.

Intel_man

VIP Member
lol the good ol' console fps lock. God I hate that crap... because the freaking lazy ass devs nowadays do a shitty job porting games over and they leave the friggin 30fps lock on PC releases.

Laquer Head

People were benchmarking the GTX1080 in maxxed out settings @4k res for a bunch of new games, and it was averaging around 35-50 fps. There were a few outliers that did well, but for the most part, it was so-so.

Mind you this was in maxxed out settings, it'll probably fair a lot better in lower settings.

Even just turning down or off some useless, and resource hog, features would probably boost that considerably. Some of Nvidias setting seem to offer no enhancement and steal performance.... I mean I need to see every blade of grass and strand of hair as much as the next gamer...but geez..not at the expense of a 10, 15, 20+ fps loss.

Origin Saint

Even just turning down or off some useless, and resource hog, features would probably boost that considerably. Some of Nvidias setting seem to offer no enhancement and steal performance.... I mean I need to see every blade of grass and strand of hair as much as the next gamer...but geez..not at the expense of a 10, 15, 20+ fps loss.
#Fallout4GodRaysTooOP

Those damn things kill FPS for basically no noticeable difference in graphical quality.

nVidia even shows you it does nothing!
http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-interactive-comparison-001-ultra-vs-low.html

Dat slightly less "foggy" gap in the stairs doe *facepalm