XBOX which are modified!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcomp

what do they do to modify those XBOX? i really don't like the whole modification scene .. does it affects the performance?

Depends on what kind of mods you're talking about. Case modding is perfectly fine, but when you start to mess with the software is when it becomes illegal, especially on Xbox Live.

Yasu said:
Depends on what kind of mods you're talking about. Case modding is perfectly fine, but when you start to mess with the software is when it becomes illegal, especially on Xbox Live.

I thought that only hardware modding was illegal, I thought software modding wasnt.

Hardware modding is legal...but if you put a chip inside that affects the software in game playing, its it should be illegal. My friend took the top of the case out, and put in an acrylic top, along with a cathode tube that was light controlled.

But say you modify the files on the xbox, soft modding. I dont think that is illegal. I thought only opening up the xbox and physically changing it was illegal.

OK, modding an xbox by putting a chip in is perfectly legal but copying games to your hard drive is illegal.
And they do it by sodering a mod chip onto the mobo. This modchip bypasses the original xbox bios and allows you to use the chips bios or your own.

If you do mod your Xbox software-wise then just don't use Xbox Live unless you want to be banned.

Microsoft's Xbox Live gaming service contains automated security checks which ban users suspected of modchip use. At logon time, Xbox Live conducts a check of the currently running BIOS. If it differs in any way from the original BIOS, that particular Xbox (which is uniquely identified by a code in the motherboard's onboard ROM) is banned from the service. Some modchips include a manual switch which can be attached to the exterior of the case and used to switch the modchip on and off. When switched off, the Xbox will boot the original BIOS and dashboard, and allow the use of Xbox Live with an original game as if no modchip were present at all. As seen in the popular Xbox Live game, Halo 2, Modders still find ways to get around the mod bans implemented by Microsoft and compete actively against players with unmodded, legitimate consoles.

Finally, Xbox Live also maintains a database of the hard drive serial numbers associated with each particular Xbox (commonly referred to as the 'Marriage Theory'). If the user has replaced the original Xbox hard drive with a larger one, they may become banned from the service even if their modchip is disabled. This pairing of serial numbers is created at the user's first login, so if the new hard drive is locked with the original hard drive's key using a specialized dashboard like Evolution-X, it is possible to use a non-original hard drive on Xbox Live, as long as the Xbox never logged on to Live with its original drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Live

Well, either way, this is borderline illegal, so unless someone can make a justifiable case to me to reopen the thread it will be closed for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back