Xeon CPU?

silver0187

Hi,

I recently receive a 3.00Ghz/4M/1333 Xeon 5160 SL9RT Costa Rica as a gift, and I'm not exactly a computer expert or a hardware expert, so I have some questions :) :

can anyone plz explain the above stats for me?
how does this cpu compare to the current duo core and quad core?
what kind of mother board should I get for this chip?

Thanks much guys!

lovely?

well its a server processor, so a server motherboard with a socket 771 is what your looking for, make sure its 771 and not 775.

that processor currently costs nearly 1000$ american so i'd be very careful with it if i were you lol

other then that, its not generally considered a powerful desktop processor, only an exceptional server processor. supposedly they are not very good at applications for the desktop, so i'd say sell it to build an even better computer with a core 2 quad in it

Last edited:

SirKenin

banned
3.0 GHz

Dual core (like a core 2 duo)

2MB cache per core

1333 MHz FSB

The 5100 series are indeed S771 and require a server board. My servers are all Xeons. They don't really offer any performance over a C2D for typical desktop tasks. They're designed for workstations or servers. They have virtualization tech built into them for virtualizing operating systems and they're 64bit. Not exactly something you'd use for playing games. :)

Sell it on Ebay. You'll get good money for it.