Xeon or C2D?

KCN

New Member
Well, I pose this question - I need to know which is better for server hosting. The game is a single threaded application, so one core will be dedicated to the server app, and the rest to the admin tools, supporting processes, and the Server 2k3 R2 OS.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4Ghz

Dual Core Xeon (not sure of model) @ 2.4Ghz

Other than that, specs are identical. Which is better and why?

Essentia

Its datacenter hosted on a dedicated, unmetered 40Mbit connection. Cooling seems to be good from the C2D I have there at the moment - but is the Xeon better/equivalent etc?
 
Last edited:
I mis-read your post, you are buying/leasing a server and those are your two options, correct? What are the prices of both?
 
I can't afford another server yet, so I'm leasing. Price is not a problem I just need to base the decision on which will perform better. The difference between the two isn't too great anyway - only just into double figures I think.
 
Performance should be the same, the Xeon and server motherboard combo make the server more reliable then a C2D and consumer motherboard however.
 
Back
Top