Xeon Vs. Dual/Tri/Quad-Core

Rit

bah! This is getting complicated... It would be much easier if you guys just gave me your extra dual core computers :p

mx344

lol, well, basically this is saying your limited, to about a 4670 gpu, which is decent, but you might want to upgrade that psu.

Yah, i may have been looking at the wrong one:eek:

spynoodle

bah! This is getting complicated... It would be much easier if you guys just gave me your extra dual core computers :p
Anyone want to volunteer to build the computer and then send it to him? :)
The PSU definitely needs major ups for a Geforce 8800 GTS, but..... If you don't want to replace it, then you could always get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=Geforce_9600_GSO-_-14-130-509-_-Product
It's cheaper, it's got 1 gig of memory, it's newer, and it needs less power. It should also be about as powerful as a Geforce 8800 GTS, I think. ;)

mx344

^yup, thatsalso a good route, the 9600gso is roughly around a 9600gt, the older tech one with 48 shaders is slower, but the 96 shaders, is a lil quicker. Good gpu.

bomberboysk

You're wrong about the high clocks and voltages, they're meant to be run at stock, at low voltages(around the 1.0V line) for minimum heat output

Actually, they are binned higher to run at lower voltages, which in essence means the chip generally has a lower VID, and on air or water will reach better clocks at lower voltages than a comparable i7 920(in the case of something like the w3520 that is). The acceptable VID range for a w3520 xeon is also approx ~0.15v or so lower than an i7 920(for example).