Xeon Vs. Dual/Tri/Quad-Core

spynoodle

What's so great about SLI?
It allows for two or more Nvidia cards, so in a few years when the Geforce 8800 GTS is cheap on ebay, you can get a second one and boost your performance significantly in certain applications.

EDIT: Also look at my many edits in my previous post :)

BigSteve702

i'd keep the xeon. they overclock like beasts, are built like beasts, and its hard as hell to take them down.

the reason they are so expensive - built to withstand HIGH clocks and voltages, but clocked lower for extreme stability. they are server processors, they are meant to be running 24/7 under high loads and NEVER die in the process.

mx344

Well, if you go with the board 87tna suggested, get a 4770. Can't beat those cards performance/price wise, and they also have a low power draw, considering the power they have, its also on a 40nm process, so itll run pretty cool. Newegg has them for 90-120.

87dtna

A 5670 is better performance with DX11 support, no need to go 4000 series at all anymore really....but he's already stated he wants Nvidia only so it's a moot point.

spynoodle

A 5670 is better performance with DX11 support, no need to go 4000 series at all anymore really....but he's already stated he wants Nvidia only so it's a moot point.
If he does decide to go with ATI, though, there are a lot of great options out now that usually beat Nvidia in price/performance comparison. IMO the Radeon HD 5670 would beat the Geforce 8800 GTS, and with the motherboard 87dtna picked out he would be able to crossfire it eventually. :good:

just a noob

i'd keep the xeon. they overclock like beasts, are built like beasts, and its hard as hell to take them down.

the reason they are so expensive - built to withstand HIGH clocks and voltages, but clocked lower for extreme stability. they are server processors, they are meant to be running 24/7 under high loads and NEVER die in the process.

You're wrong about the high clocks and voltages, they're meant to be run at stock, at low voltages(around the 1.0V line) for minimum heat output

87dtna

If he does decide to go with ATI, though, there are a lot of great options out now that usually beat Nvidia in price/performance comparison. IMO the Radeon HD 5670 would beat the Geforce 8800 GTS, and with the motherboard 87dtna picked out he would be able to crossfire it eventually. :good:

ehh, thats a toss up on performance there. I can underclock my 8800gts_512mb to 500 core and 700 memory and it still pegs the max 125 FPS in cod WAW almost all the time....1920x1080 resolution. It's a beast of a card, I like it so much I just sold my gts250 and kept the 8800gts!

spynoodle

ehh, thats a toss up on performance there. I can underclock my 8800gts_512mb to 500 core and 700 memory and it still pegs the max 125 FPS in cod WAW almost all the time....1920x1080 resolution. It's a beast of a card, I like it so much I just sold my gts250 and kept the 8800gts!
Now that's saying something. Either way though, I still think that the Radeon HD 5670 may be a tad bit more powerful. Of course, if he wants Nvidia, he wouldn't go over to ATI just for a "tad" bit more power. The crossfire would be the major decider in this scenario.

mx344

ehh na, the 4770 is still better, performance wise against the 5670, but yes the 5670 it does have dx11 oppose to 10.1..

EDIT: WHy doesn't he go with the board you chose him its crossfire, good price too, ati would be the better route for him. well, price wise.

Last edited:

87dtna

He's like me, I'm not interested in crossfire or SLI because a single card plays the games I want...and once it doesn't, it's time for a newer single card. So instead of two cards sucking up massive amounts of juice, I've upgraded to a newer tech card that is as powerful as those two cards, takes up less space in my tower, consumes way less energy, and makes less heat in the case.

Rit

He's like me, I'm not interested in crossfire or SLI because a single card plays the games I want...and once it doesn't, it's time for a newer single card. So instead of two cards sucking up massive amounts of juice, I've upgraded to a newer tech card that is as powerful as those two cards, takes up less space in my tower, consumes way less energy, and makes less heat in the case.

What he said :p

Plus I don't have the funds to spend on what I want right now, so I have to be 'picky'. But once I'm done w/ school, married, and have a full time job instead of a part time job. Then I'm going to blow $1k on a computer that I've always wanted. :D

spynoodle

What he said :p

Plus I don't have the funds to spend on what I want right now, so I have to be 'picky'. But once I'm done w/ school, married, and have a full time job instead of a part time job. Then I'm going to blow $1k on a computer that I've always wanted. :D
I see... well in that case, then if you want Nvidia then just go with the 8800 GTS that 87dtna listed. It's powerful and it's a good deal for a good brand, so all in all I'd say it's a good choice. You're still going to need a pretty beefy PSU for it, though. I'd say.... 500watt?

EDIT: I just looked at the specs. it wants a 425watt PSU. It's always good to go a bit over, though, and get something like a 475-500watt PSU. Also, make sure that it meets the requirement of a combined 12v amperage of 28amp. It'll most likely say in the specs of the PSU you buy. :)
Here's the link to the card, since it hasn't been posted in a few pages: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143119

Last edited:

mx344

hmm, i also have never heard of at 425 antec, but they usually have around 16-18a on 2 12v rails, what does it say on the psu Rit?

mx344

OK, cool, well, looked it up, 17 amps ont eh first 12v rail, and 16 on the rail, so i would say a 9800gtx/ 250gts/4850 would prob be the limit for that sucker especially if you overclock your processor..

87dtna

I actually don't think it will be enough sorry to say. I had a Phenom II quad setup, with a gts250, and a BP500U antec (two 19a rails iirc) was not enough. After about 20 minutes of gaming my PC would actually just shut off. PSU was getting too hot. Now granted this is the lowest end quality wise of antec PSU's, but it was 70 more watts with 5 more amps on the 12v rails.