Xeon x3210?

PCunicorn

I found the Xeon X3210 for CHEAP. I know Xeons are not good for gaming, but the C2Q is a good CPU, and the C2Q I heard is the same chip as X3220, and there can't be that big of a difference between the two, can there?

jonnyp11

I found the Xeon X3210 for CHEAP. I know Xeons are not good for gaming, but the C2Q is a good CPU, and the C2Q I heard is the same chip as X3220, and there can't be that big of a difference between the two, can there?

There's nothing wrong with a xeon for gaming, the only real difference is the cache size so it would work fine. The only problem i see with that processor is the slow clock speed. But a brand new i3 is like 120 and is way faster than that, so if it isnt like 50 and you dont already have a mobo, then it's definitely not worth it

PCunicorn

Wll, it's 80 with 8 GB of RAM, a Board, and the Xeon. I also heard the Xeon X3210 is a OC monster. I also hear the QX6700 is still a good chip and isn't too much better than the X3210 is Call of Duty (gaming in general).

Last edited:

jonnyp11

What's the board? With a decent cooler at 3ghz or more, that could be a really good gamer for the money, it should be just as good or slightly better than my 960t actually IIRC

PCunicorn

The board is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R. Also, how are the Foxconn 880G boards? The A88GA is particular.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Core 2 Quads are getting old now and they're quite expensive still. I wouldn't really bother with anything from that time period anymore.

As for Foxconn motherboards, my Foxconn H55M-S died when I tried to update the BIOS, and I really wouldn't recommend Foxconn 'own-brand' boards because they're cheaply made and have horrendous support. Most of the manual is written in Chinese, and the English translation is laughable: 'backuping your BIOS!' was one of my favourites. ;)

So basically avoid. Get something newer, i5 3570K would be good.

WeatherMan

+1 for foxconn being awful.

I had one of their old Winfast boards. That thing gave me a headache.

Funnily enough Foxconn supply the components for a very vast range of brands, I guess PC motherboards aren't their speciality :p

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I got an X3220, not really a speedmonster... It's equal to a Q6600, which is ok for gaming. But Idk how an X3210 is like.

PCunicorn

Core 2 Quads are getting old now and they're quite expensive still. I wouldn't really bother with anything from that time period anymore.

As for Foxconn motherboards, my Foxconn H55M-S died when I tried to update the BIOS, and I really wouldn't recommend Foxconn 'own-brand' boards because they're cheaply made and have horrendous support. Most of the manual is written in Chinese, and the English translation is laughable: 'backuping your BIOS!' was one of my favourites. ;)

So basically avoid. Get something newer, i5 3570K would be good.

I don't have much to spend, I would imagine you figured that out when I was looking for $50 cases and $80 bundles. So no i5. I MIGHT get a Phenom X6, but I need to find a good deal on a board. The reason i asked about the foxconn is that its a $40 refurb.

wolfeking

banned
It's like 2.13 stock, but unlocked is the question, although IIRC c2 FSB or whatever is good for overclocking too
You don;t get unlocked processors with Core 2 to put it simply. There were likely some partial unlocks, but that does not get you far. Pentium 3 all the way to LGA1156/1366 was perfectly fine with FSB/BCLK overclocking.

spirit

Staff member
I don't have much to spend, I would imagine you figured that out when I was looking for $50 cases and $80 bundles. So no i5. I MIGHT get a Phenom X6, but I need to find a good deal on a board. The reason i asked about the foxconn is that its a $40 refurb.
I honestly wouldn't touch any Foxconn-branded board with a 10ft pole. I had my H55M-S for a year, and that was a year too long. ;)

PCunicorn

Okay, so no Foxconn. I heard the X3210 is a great OCer, so I might get it and OC it to 3.2 GHz or something around there.