XFX 5770 and Battle field 3

Currency

Guess it would all depend on the resolution your running. I play @ 1680x1050 with settings on high (recommended settings by BF3) without AA and AF, if their on they were turned down.

I had more issues running those settings on SP than MP, video's or animations always lagged for a second on the single player mode.

My system did not like running fraps with BF3, it caused BF3 to crash every time.

I can tell you I was not pulling down 60FPS, Maybe 30 which I am sure it does drop at some point which I never noticed on 48 player or lower man servers. My system handled Black Op's better, never lagged in MP. But I played on crouch servers in BO's otherwise I would never have played multi-player because I'm not grizz, or if you will, I am not a one man army running around taking names.

My card is in Hodgkins, IL right now.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Just as a reference my Sapphire 5770 idles at around 33 C overclocked to 960/1300. Never seen it go higher than 60. Granted I have a well ventilated case with 5 case fans, 2 of which are right next to the card, but still. I'd have a guess that your eMachines case is clogged up with dust and doesn't have good ventilation at all due to it being a store bought machine.

Okedokey

Replace the thremal paste with Arctic Silver 5. It dropped my 5770 temps by 10oC. Crank the fan up to 100%. Ensure dust free and keep the case airflow in tact.

Currency

The XFX 5770 is currently in another state on it's way to Cali for the RMA. Double life time warranty still in tack, or so I am hoping. :D

The case on my machine is now as clean as most new ones, but for how long who knows. Pulled everything and dusted.

I currently am stuck with an X1300/X1550 series with 256MB's VRam, 446.5 Mhz clock and 238.5 Mhz memory clock. Can't get a temp off of this thing. Thank the computer gods and a community college that I purchased three HP DC7700's from back in the fall for $20 each. Was having way to many issues with the built-in 6150SE Nvidia Nforce 430 chip. It sucks and this 1300 ATI card does suck, but not as bad. :)

http://www.pacificgeek.com/productimages/xl/DC7700C-PD34-PB-R-2.jpg

Picture of case ^^^^^

Thinking about sticking my parts in it for a few months when I start building a new system. Then purchasing two fans, one intake one exhaust and purchasing one dual fan slot fan to stick next to the 5770 if that's what I get back. Either way I may end up getting another ATI card for the next system since I can purchase them in town because I hate playing the waiting for shipping guys games. Even though I worked with UPS two Christmas seasons in a row.

Edit: This card won't even run Minecraft, may sell the DC770 today and get a cheap card that will. Minecraft will at least keep me sane while waiting to play other games. :)
Also, my $7 Gearhead mouse stopped working, their support said I have to have the package it came in and proof of purchase otherwise they won't replace it. That's messed up. Who keeps the plastic cheap mice come in?

Going to get a razar BF3 keyboard and mouse next month. After that I will start saving for a new system build. Just don't really have time to piece one together right now. Things have been busy this year. :D

Last edited:

Currency

Well they got the card at 10:09 am yesterday, Have to love those business deliveries. :)

Will update again once I hear something back from XFX unless someone replies.

Currency

Newegg has 145 cases listed between $50 and $75

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133183

Well I've been considering building a new system once I return to work, which may be a while unless I go for one of them min wage McDonald Jobs @ $7.25 hour.
A local company is in labor disputes with their employees union, I contacted them Friday since they are looking to hire, short term, until the dispute is settled. @ $17.50 hour.

Was just thinking about creating a post for the system build. My budget depends on the income at the time of the start of the 'planned build' so it could range anywhere from $800 to $1,600. Then that discussion could turn into a Intel's better, go Intel, instead of picking the best price to performance products.
Bulldozer was a disappointment to everyone, therefore I may wait for Ivy Bridge and if I go Ivy Bridge it's going to be the I7-3770T or a Sandy Bridge or perhaps a II x6 like the 975 or 1100T or Perhaps a 2550 depending on price vs performance on release.

Would rather spend the money now on a top of the line processor and get a lesser video card and just upgrade the video card in a few years time. I don't know, tons of things on my mind and busy mutli-tasking on the desktop and laptop. Will save this for another thread and another day.

Last edited:

Currency

1/26/2012 11:00:28 PM] We have received your recent returns ref: XXXXXXXX. Your returns will be passed to the RMA department for testing and diagnosis. We will notify you on completion. Thank You. XFX Support Team

They got the card on the 20th, guess they are busy.

linkin

VIP Member
Makes you wonder how many RMA's they have to process each day. At least they didn't give you the wrong address for their RMA centre and make you wait 6 months to get the broken card back in the mail.

Currency

Yeah I told them they must be busy when I ask what was taking them so long since they had the card for nearly a week, six days to process it. Then a different person replied the above posted message.

I would have been really upset with them if they had given me the wrong address.

Can't really do anything game wise so I have been playing a lot of minecraft, on short to normal view distance, and Sims 2 as I gave Sim 3 away after a few days of owning it.
Am forced to play stronghold kingdoms online game on my laptop because I think the built-in desktop video card, 6150SE, is having issues with it and Java 64bit.

May be working soon as a family member I do odd jobs for is putting in a good word for me at the University he works at. Will be decent pay but I'm having issues with the University I attend, Phoenix online, because I transferred math courses to the one my family member works at. Can't do the math online as it's been years since I've done it.

So hopefully I'll be back to work, can pay UoP a couple grand and start building a new system. Will post a new thread regarding a system build if I get the job and know what it pays, pretty good can be considered differently by many people.

Currency

1/30/2012 7:18:57 PM] Hi Jerry; We have performed extensive testing on the board you sent in and have not been able to find any issues with it. The fan needed to be cleaned which brought temps back down to normal levels, and the card went from 62c at idle to 48c at idle and didnt get above 71c in 3d testing. At this point I am confident that the product is fully functional and the issue you described is not related to the board. I have instructed RMA dept to go ahead and replace the card anyway so if you receive the replacement and the same issues persist, I would recommend to troubleshoot other parts of the system. Thanks

1/30/2012 7:21:30 PM] Your recent returns ref: XXXXXXX has recently completed the testing process with the following status: {Serial Number removed by Currency = NOFAULTFOUND}. A technician will be in contact shortly to discuss completion of this return. If you have any queries regarding this test result - please send a message to the support team. Thank You. XFX Support Team

Just got home and checked 18 new emails, two were from XFX. I swear the card was spotless unless, there was dust somewhere inside the shroud, otherwise I don't know where the dust came from.

As I posted before, even using custom fan settings with Afterburner I was hitting 80+ C's in BF3. Fan settings were set to nearly match card temps, when it hit 80C the fan would be at 81%. My logs prove this.

Unless it's a case problem, then again I never had a heat issue with it in this case until this year and both the card and case have been cleaned on a regular basis.

Should I find a better case? Start a new thread for that or just pick one up on newegg under $60? The ones I was looking at had bad reviews, even Lian li cases. Not sure, have a lot going on right now.

Will test out the replacement and check temps once it arrives, if there is a problem that shrouds coming off and I'll put on better thermal paste.

Currency

Yeah I will check it out once I get it back and everything.

XFX shipped it, a new card, back today around 3:18pm via FedEx. Should have it in 2-8 business days. So anytime from the 3rd until the 10th. Will sign up for the updates so I know when I need to be here to sign for it. Can't wait to be able to play, unless they sent me a lesser performing card. Then I'll be mad.

They do not make the 5700's via XFX anymore, so hopefully it's another 5770 or a 6770. Of course the 6770 and 5770 are the same card, so they kind of still make them. Will wait and see then I will update it after testing.

Then I will know if it's the case or something else.

Currency

Well the cards in my home town post office now. I tried to pull a favor and have my ex's mother go into work and scan it in and out for me but she was going on a date and had not been on one since I was dating her daughter back in 2005.

So I should have it delivered to my house on Monday so I'll stick around and wait for it so I can drop it back in and see how it runs.

I honestly have to give it to those FedEx people because I do believe they moved the card faster than UPS did. If tomorrow was not Sunday I would have gotten it already.

Currency

Well XFX continues to claim there is or was nothing wrong with my 5770. However the replacement, used 5770, they shipped me has not hit over 64C in BF3 with everything exactly as it was with my old 5770. That was with 60% fan speed set to match temps, and 98% load in operation metro.

Hum...... Was I wrong and the card was not overheating or was I right and it was? Me Vs. XFX tech support. Hum... I have logs to prove it was and they only claimed it was not. A pissing contest. lol