Xfx 6200

its_me123

Not too long ago I posted here that I was looking for a new graphics card. Some helpful person sent me some links so I thought about it and decided to goto a computer shop instead. Now I'm paying a bit over $200AU for a XFX 6200 Graphics card (I think thats the name), Core Clock: 500 Mhz, 256 mb. It seems good, They ordered it in and I should get it tomorrow.

Has anyone heard of this card? what do you guys think?

ceewi1

VIP Member
If you can cancel the order, do it. The card is $85AUD from www.msy.com.au, and isn't even worth that IMO. The card is fine for non graphics intensive tasks, but will really struggle for modern gaming. Is it a PCI-E or AGP card? At this price, you can easily get a 7600GS PCI-E or 6600GT AGP.

Are you absolutely sure it was a 6200? A quick www.staticice.com.au search can't even find one that's that expensive.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I have the 6200 Turbo Cache(worse than the AGP version :p) It'll play Need For Speed Most Wanted at 640x480 with medium settings, and Race Driver 3 at 800x600 with medium settings(maybe high, I can't remember) I've not tried many other games, but it's definetly not meant for heavy gamming.

I don't know how much AUD converts to USD, but I do know the 6200TC goes for under $50USD.

its_me123

I did see when I ran a search for 6200 that it was way cheaper AUD, but I could be wrong, I didn't write it down when I talked to the person on the phone and they did talk fast, I think it could have been 6600.

its_me123

I just rang the computer shop and they said its 6600,and he said 6200 is a cheapo and wont run much, my mistake. Thankgod.

So this card should be better ?

its_me123

I went and picked it up today, I got it for a bit cheaper. It is a good card, it does its job :) I tested it, put all the graphics to my games on max and it didnt lag once. Now i'm about to test doom 3.....

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I personally have a 6600 128MB card in my computer. It runs BFME 2 fine, AOE 3, my choke point is my processor (P4 1.6GHz :(). It won't stay current for more than a year or so I'd guess, but at least for now it will be fine...

Next time you are in the market I'd try to go in the $150-$200 USD range. I know it's a little more expensive, but I've found that that is usually where the best cost/performance ratio lies (at least at Newegg prices... :)).

its_me123

Ok, now I have tested the graphics card out I have some problems I want to fix:

Since I started using this card I noticed my CPU usage is around 33% at times but drops down so its sort of fixed, however I can't view videos, I try to open a video in windows media player and the CPU Usage shoots up to 100% and it starts going slow and freezing, I end up closing it via the task manager and its back to normal, wtf?

Also my computer towercase feels very hot, hotter than usual, is there anyway to fix this without paying more money. settings maybe ? idk.

I got told that the card would be perfectly fine with my crappy Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz and my 256 ram or w/e. Other then the windows media player thing and the Hot towercase its running perfectly, Games run great.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
You only have 256MB RAM total system memory? That would be a needed upgraded, at least to 512, preferable higher. Otherwise, I've noticed that WMP sucks CPU usage all the time, but the degree of your problem would probably be best solved through more RAM. If that doesn't get things shipshape, we can try other options...

its_me123

I have just been told by a computer person from one shop that said overheating computers arnt dangerous and its completely normal and to turn it off and give it breaks, its only a problem when your computer is freezing. Another computer person told me that hes never heard such idiotic advice and thats stupid, he says if its overheating it will destroy my motherboard ?

What do you guys advise, should I take the graphics card out and see if it overheats without it, This second person said i should take it out and test it, and search to see if others have the same problem.

If i get like 1 gb of ram will that even help the overheating lol ? is ram expensive ?

Last edited:

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Well, computers run hot, that's just a fact. So, it depends on how much it's "overheating". In most cases, the computer should kick off if the heat is reaching a dangerous level. As for the RAM, you should be able to find a 512MB stick somewhere between $60-$80.

its_me123

Ok thanks! Well my computer is running "very hot", I can still hold my hand on it without it falling off but it is abnormally hotter then usual. I just opened up my computer and took out the graphics card, the metal parts around the fan were very hot. When I run a video without the card in my comp my cp usage is an average of around 70 percent. It runs the video fine with no pausing, but with the card in its 100 percent and doesnt move, in media player it says connecting and never runs the video and in vlc media it just has a black screen.

It shouldn't overheat lots if I have a Intel Celeron (crap) processor and only 256 ram should it ? I thought it would just run crap.

I'm going to roll back the drivers and restore my computer back to yesterday, and do some searching. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Edit: I found a site where someone else had this problem and they hooked the card up to the PSU, I did that already, perhaps I did it wrong? Will underclocking help, im running out of ideas here..

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
its_me123 said:
Ok thanks! Well my computer is running "very hot", I can still hold my hand on it without it falling off but it is abnormally hotter then usual. I just opened up my computer and took out the graphics card, the metal parts around the fan were very hot. When I run a video without the card in my comp my cp usage is an average of around 70 percent. It runs the video fine with no pausing, but with the card in its 100 percent and doesnt move, in media player it says connecting and never runs the video and in vlc media it just has a black screen.

It shouldn't overheat lots if I have a Intel Celeron (crap) processor and only 256 ram should it ? I thought it would just run crap.

I'm going to roll back the drivers and restore my computer back to yesterday, and do some searching. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Edit: I found a site where someone else had this problem and they hooked the card up to the PSU, I did that already, perhaps I did it wrong? Will underclocking help, im running out of ideas here..

intel celeron what? Is it celeron D? If so, then it could be a prescott, which overheats alot. Did you install the video card drivers?

its_me123

Yeah, That rings a bell. I seen prescott 800 writting on the motherboard.

If the graphics card heats up all the time does that damage it or makes it not last as long?