xfx 8800gts on asus m2n68-la

thenewguy

Hello

I have decided to shell out the extra money and get the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814150173

but i see every one is saying how big of a card it is! I want to see if it will fit my MB before i order it

what i am worried about is the connectors on the MB where the HDD connects

I think that they my interfere with the Video card if the card is to thick. the length should not be a issue, the MB is 9 1/2in wide and i can go all the way to the font of the case if need be.

From the picture you can see i have 1 5/8in separation between the pcie x16 slot and the tuner card but from the tuner card up to the top edge of the connector i am looking a 3/16in with that card fit in a slot 1 3/8in tall? will heat from the card damage this connector if the card must rest on it?

my.php

thanks

chupacabra

Sometimes the cases can't fit most video cards such as the 8800's and the 2900's due to being really large 8 to 11 inches

Last edited:

thenewguy

so it is usually a problem with the card being to long for the case? I should not have a problem with that because i have another 5in past the MB to the front of the case. here is a set of dimensions i found online but there for a 640mb card
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/g80-2.html
220x100x32mm

or (for my benefit)

8.6in x 3.9in x 1.25in

do these sound accurate for the xfx 320mb cards according to those the card wont even run the total length of the MB mine being 9.6in x 9.6in

thanks

Nightrain

I see what you mean. From looking at my 8800gts and looking at your pic, I can't say for certain, but it is looking like you going to hit that sata connector.

The 8800gts pretty much takes up both slots all the way to the end of the card. You might just barely miss that sata connector, but honestly it looks like its going to hit it.

I have a P35-DS3R, so full size atx board, and the 8800 sticks out past the board about 3/4 of an inch.

Also, you might have some heat issues. The 8800 is going to be right on top of that other card. Is the card on the bottom just a modem card? and do you use it? If it is what I think it is, and I doubt you use it if it is (you may...idk) then Id suggest taking out the modem card, and dropping that top card to the bottom slot. That will help out the air situation.

Hope I helped some. I can't guarantee it will fit. It is def a big card. I would take the measurements you found and try to measure it out for yourself. And yes, 9inch seems about right for an 8800gts. Mine is right at 9" long.

thenewguy

that was my thought also, removing the modem and dropping the other card. I was just using it as a reference point for measurements. according to the messurments the card will be on top of the sata connector.

Will that be a big deal if the gpu is touching the sata connector? heat and/or vibration?

I am planing on cutting a hole in the side panel and installing a intake fan. That would leave me with the power supply fan, rear exhaust fan, GPU fan and then the newintake fan

thanks for the reply Nightrain

thenewguy

of all the online retailers who has the best return policy if this thing was not to fit?

I have been thinking i will go through newegg. has any one had to return anything to them? how did it go?

thanks

oscaryu1

VIP Member
of all the online retailers who has the best return policy if this thing was not to fit?

I have been thinking i will go through newegg. has any one had to return anything to them? how did it go?

thanks

XFX usually suck at returns. EVGA is an whole different story. Get EVGA if you want to "try and see" if it fits. Take in mind this will also warm up your case really fast, and cause an crash if the power supply is unefficient enough.