XFX does not want fermi

just a noob

XFX chooses to “skip” NVIDIA’s GTX 480 and GTX 470 in favor of ATI’s high-end cards. Could still release budget conscious Fermi derivatives in the future.

When NVIDIA launched the GTX 480 and GTX 470 on Friday of last week, we were bombarded by the usual influx of press releases from board partners announcing their Fermi-based cards. There were two which were oddly absent; one of which was the long-time NVIDIA favorite,XFX. This was particularly odd simply because we had seen and posted images of XFX GTX 480 and GTX 470 cards a few weeks ago. We followed up at the time and didn’t receive a response until today. The news isn’t good for those of you who wanted to buy a GTX 400-series card with XFX’s signature Double Lifetime Warranty.

In our conversations with them regarding this subject, it has become clear that XFX will not be releasing any GTX 480 or GTX 470 cards. This is not limited to the North American market either and will affect every market worldwide since the decision was taken on a corporate level. The exact reasoning behind this is not clear but in the shady world of GPUs, very few things can be said with any certainty and for all intents and purposes we will probably never know. One way or another, this is a blow for NVIDIA and their fans.

There is however a glimmer of hope as XFX has stated quite clearly that they intend to continue support NVIDIA’s more budget-oriented cards. That means there is a good possibility that once cut down versions of the GF100 architecture are released, we will likely see cards brandishing the XFX logo.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/xfx-jumps-gtx-480-gtx-470-ship/

"This afternoon we received confirmation that XFX, a division of PINE Technologies, will not be releasing any GeForce GTX 400 series graphics cards to the market when the cards become public next month. XFX was not listed as a launch partner for Fermi and did not issue a press release about the upcoming cards, which might come as a shock to many of our readers as they are one of the largest NVIDIA add-in board (AIB) partners in the world! XFX said that the decision not to carry this series of GF100 graphics card was their decision and that they will still be carrying NVIDIA products. It looks like XFX thinks that the Radeon HD 5000 series of graphics card is the right card for the high-end market."
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1263/1/

bomberboysk

Saw this earlier today, my guess is that since they started selling ATI products, they wouldnt want to market the GTX 480 as the "fastest gpu in the world" which could hinder their sales. Either that or they forsee alot of RMA's on the gpus due to the heat they produce.

Stildawn

Either that or they forsee alot of RMA's on the gpus due to the heat they produce.

I was thinking that... Or that whole thing about the really bad yeilds etc not being able to meet demand maybe?

salvage-this

I was kinda excited to see what they were going to do to for cooling. But I would have made the same decision in their position.

bomberboysk

I was thinking that... Or that whole thing about the really bad yeilds etc not being able to meet demand maybe?
Well, that could be a problem too, as they cannot build any boards without the chips from nvidia. Although, the profit margin on these cards due to their large die sounds like its pretty low, which could be another reason.

joh06937

Saw this earlier today, my guess is that since they started selling ATI products, they wouldnt want to market the GTX 480 as the "fastest gpu in the world" which could hinder their sales. Either that or they forsee alot of RMA's on the gpus due to the heat they produce.

oh yeah, never even thought about competition within a seller :p

Ryeong

I saw temperatures over 100 degrees Celsius using Furmark with the fan speeds on auto. Bump the fan speed to 100% and you get temperatures in the mid 60C range. However, you do have a noise penalty when doing this. At a fan speed of 70% I found a good solid balance between noise and temperatures. 80 Celsius is where the temperature peaked in my well ventilated Stacker 810 case. This put me a good 25 Celsius away from the maximum safe temperature. Just make sure your case is well ventilated or you may see the temperatures of the other components in the system increase and cause you other heat related concerns.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx480/16.htm

Do 75-80% Fan speed. Okay, it's late.. I'm out.

ScottALot

It's kind of sad to see the GPU king for so long suffer such an embarrassment... it's like the GPU market's iPad... it's released after the good product, and is much worse than the earlier product. It's a wonder how a company like nVidia could go wrong after only one generation.

linkin

VIP Member
I thought XFX was dominated by the green team? it wasn't long ago that they just started making ati cards...

bomberboysk

I thought XFX was dominated by the green team? it wasn't long ago that they just started making ati cards...
Apparently its been lucritive enough, especially considering ati cards are generally alot cheaper for the same/better performance as an nvidia card(ex- 4890 and gtx275...the 4890 actually comes close to the 285 in alot of benchies once overclocked as well, plus the gddr5 gives good memory bandwidth).