XFX GeForce 6200...Good for Counter Strike Source?

Dialamo

My friend is building a new PC and needs some help. I recommended him some parts. He mostly needs his PC for Work Apps, Internet, and Music playback. When he plays games, he plays Counter Strike Source and some other games with a lot lower requirements. He is spending $1200 max on his new PC.

Parts up to now (Around $1100 Canadian with taxes)

P4 Socket 478 3.2GHZ 800FSB 1MB cache (I know its old!)
1GB Corsair DDR 400 RAM
GeForce 6200 256 MB GDDR2 AGP 8X
Asus Motherboard
Case with 400W power supply
160GB Hard Drive 7200RPM 8MB cache
DVD writer
Floppy Drive
Cooler Master Fan (64.4 CFM!)
A 120mm and an 80mm case fan.

I think everything else is good for his needs, but I am not so sure about the GFX card. I read Video Card 101 and I looked at the specs of the card, but I still am a bit skeptical. Do you think this card can run Counter Strike Source just fine on this PC at medium to high settings on 1024x768 resolution?

Geoff

VIP Member
the 6200 is a poor card for gaming. where are you buying your parts from? they seem to be very pricey.

Dialamo

[-0MEGA-] said:
the 6200 is a poor card for gaming. where are you buying your parts from? they seem to be very pricey.

The parts are from Tigerdirect.ca. Well, he won't be doing much gaming on this PC, mostly just CS:S, but with his old PC, he was able to run CS:S with a 32MB video card! (Everything low though) So, I think the 6200 should do a good job running it not super crazy, but just fine.

Hmm....I thought Tiger had good prices?

Mr.Suave

im guessing since he's checking in tigerdirect.ca then newegg wouldnt work.

i think the 6200 will be fine. my bro played CSS on a laptop that had a mobile 5200 i think and it played fine for him. with a little tweaking it could have been better but my bro is wierd, he didnt want me to tweak.

Jet

VIP Member
Look in Video Card 101, there there's a list of teh best value for the money in that $$ sector

Dialamo

b182tm said:
Canada? Whats with the Uncle Sam avatar?
I have it because it's funny! He is like pointing his finger and hes saying OWN3D! It's too funny... Oh yes, I live in Canada too.

Jet said:
Look in Video Card 101, there there's a list of teh best value for the money in that $$ sector

I think I am ok with this card for now. There is good selection, but I will look in Video Card 101 incase if I need a second opinion.