XFX Geforce 6600 gt pci-e

alexkolb

Hello,

i'm thinking about buying this card, but xfx is the cheapest one, does this mean it's of the lowest quality? What are your thoughts about xfx?
And also, is it reasonable to buy this card is my specs are:
ip 2.8 HT 800mhz fsb
pc 3200 512mb dual chan. ram
80 gb 7200 hdd
maybe a simple 6600 is enough? or should i still go with 6600 gt (about 70$ more)

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
all the 6600GTs perform around the same mark, excluding any that come pre-overclocked. One thing to watch out is the cooler is really easy to slide around in the 6600(GT)s. People will trash XFX because they used to be called Pine but their stuff works just fine

edit: heres a round up of a bunch of commercial 6600GTs http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=1

Last edited:

alexkolb

so then XFX is a good manufacturer. right?
-
and please answer my second question (see first post)
thank you.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Brand names dont mean jack anymore like they used to back in the day. Damn near all the manufacturers use the nvidia reference design anyways.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
6600s are good but as with all Nvidia cards the GT model is better than the standard version. I got a 6600GT for $20CAD more than the standard 6600

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I got mine from NCIX (www.ncix.com) for $250, at the time the 6600s were $220-230

just looking now, the 6600GT prices have gone up since november ( :eek: ) they are probably low on stock

Last edited:

alexkolb

i just think 6600 gt is a very good card, so resellers are trying to make some money :)\
personally i think that nvidia 6 series turned out better then radeon X series...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well it probably would have been more even if ATi didnt sell on two potentially very successful lines the X800 and the X700 .. .just before christmas too....pity