XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB

md49vd

hello i need help. i have a pentium three and i want to buy this grpahics card for it however i could save uoto 200 quid to get it or potentially save up to 1000 pounds to get a pentium 4. which decision would be wiser. if i got the pentium 4 would the grphics card be just as good.?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
system specs plz
Why do you need specs? It's a pentium3 ... the AGP spec there is out of date and as such, incompatible (not to mention the videocard is heavily bottlenecked)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yup... I'd recommend upgrading the system if it's any great power your looking for. To buy that graphics card for you current system would be just a mistake.

md49vd

Asus K8N-E Deluxe
Athlon 64 3400+ (1mb L2 cache)
KingMax 1.5gb PC-3200
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W
KINGWIN Premoded Case
120GB SATA HD 8mb cache
60gb+20gb 7200rpm IDE HDS
20gb 5400 RPM inside external enclosure USB (Metal Gear Box)
LG DVD burner combo drive (+R -R duel layer)
Aerogate II Fan Controller and Temp
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Digetal
EVGA Geforce 6800GT
is that componenets for one computer. how much is each item on there.?

4W4K3

VIP Member
md49vd said:

lol looks liek you just copied someones sig...but yes thsoe are extensive system specs.

www.newegg.com will give you a good idea on how much each part is...just realize you dont necessarily need all/any of that to run your desired video card.

i would imagine to fully take advantage of a 256MB 6800GT you will want a computer that performs ~$1000 or more (if you get what im saying). If you find deals though you can get a $800 computer that shoould do jst fine. any less and i would say the CPU/RAM/Mobo would be a big bottleneck.

i would personally opt for that eVga 6800GT that you had posted in the computer specifications, i like eVga better.

brotherstan1k4

most of the time i ask for sys specs i just wanna no to see if his system could seriously bottleneckin a new vid card like my friend has 384 ram (not bad for a 7 yo comp) and then o wait he only has a p3 733mhz he cant even run War3 even on lowest and it takes him seriously 12 minutes to load the tiny 130-140 KBS!!! online maps so if that guy had the same kinda config a vid card wouldnt even be worth cuz he might be used to having slow comp liek my friend is or might think he got jipped cuz he just spent all this money on a vid card and it barely helps

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
and then o wait he only has a p3 733mhz he cant even run War3 even on lowest and it takes him seriously 12 minutes to load the tiny 130-140 KBS!!!
Strange. I can play War3 fine on my P3-667Mhz -- at medium settings too

4W4K3

VIP Member
I'm pretty sure the loading of online data (like maps and levels you have to upload/download) is dependent on your internet connection, not the speed of your computer. Cuz' my mom's 300MHz PDA will download 130kb worth of crap in like 12 seconds on the wireless connection. If he was on a 14k connection or something slow then that would maek a huge difference.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:

...yah im confusing myself. i think i meant to type kb, as in kilobytes per second. my gf's 56K is really only like 4kbps when downloading...so 14kb would be like 1kbps or lower...incredibly slow.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Asus K8N-E Deluxe
Athlon 64 3400+ (1mb L2 cache)
KingMax 1.5gb PC-3200
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W
KINGWIN Premoded Case
120GB SATA HD 8mb cache
60gb+20gb 7200rpm IDE HDS
20gb 5400 RPM inside external enclosure USB (Metal Gear Box)
LG DVD burner combo drive (+R -R duel layer)
Aerogate II Fan Controller and Temp
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Digetal
EVGA Geforce 6800GT

I'm missing somthing here I think because that's my sig LOL.

Edit:

Yet I missed the question at the bottom ;-).. hmmm I would have to check reciepts now but of course all those components would be considerably cheaper now.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I'm missing somthing here I think because that's my sig LOL.
Hehe

hmmm I would have to check reciepts now but of course all those components would be considerably cheaper now.
You can also factor in discounts for buying all of it at once and stuff too ;)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
You can also factor in discounts for buying all of it at once and stuff too

This is also true :) some of my components are from older systems too, Kinda like hand me downs hehe... Some components have a longer lifetime then others and I've found my old HD's just great for storing backups of downloaded data as well as my music library which sits on a 5400rpm drive :).

Good to see ya up this late Praetor :).

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Some components have a longer lifetime then others and I've found my old HD's just great for storing backups of downloaded data as well as my music library which sits on a 5400rpm drive :).
LOL ya i never understood the need for 7200rpm 8mb drives for long term storage :p

Good to see ya up this late Praetor :).
Course :p (did you ever get my email/PM?)

Anywho back on topic we go..... :p