XFX GeForce 9800 GT and DDR2 Ram

Jimmy Bond

Hi,

I am wanting to update my current graphics card - GeForce 8500 GT to the XFX GeForce 9800 GT, but my current card uses DDR2 memory while the 9800 uses GDDR3 memory.

Won't this work or is it no problem? I have a Foxconn N15235 motherboard if this helps.

Also can anyone reccoment which card model.

Thanks.

Last edited:

kookooshortman55

GDDR2 and GDDR3 does not correlate with DDR2 and DDR3 motherboards. Since you are replacing an 8000 series card with a 9000 series card, you will first need to uninstall the 8500GT drivers. You should be able to find several tutorials for this online. Then just restart the compuer, shut it down and take out the old card. Just plug in the new card along with the necessary power cords, and install the 9000 series drivers when you start up the computer.

Jimmy Bond

Right, thanks very much. :) So nothing needs to be changed hardware wise in order to make it work. Its just a matter of uninstalling and reinstalling certain drivers? The thing is I have Windows Vista and I may need to find a tutorial specific to it.

Has anyone here done this process specific to these cards?

Last edited:

kookooshortman55

That should have been a good enough tutorial. Just go into the Device Manager and uninstall the video card under the display settings and restart the computer. Then just shut the computer down and install the new video card, along with the connections to the power supply. Then just start up the computer and install the new 9000 series drivers.

Jimmy Bond

Thats good, but apparently with the nvidia drivers only 99% comes off. People have been using driver cleaners aswell.

Aswell, going back to what you said before, GDDR2 and GDDR3 does not correlate with DDR2 and DDR3 motherboards. What do I do with this?

Last edited:

kookooshortman55

Nothing lol. There is no correlation between GDDR memory and DDR memory. You can have a GDDR3 graphics card in a DDR2 motherboard, a GDDR5 graphics card in a DDR3 motherboard, etc. Do not worry about RAM compatibility.

mx344

Thats good, but apparently with the nvidia drivers only 99% comes off. People have been using driver cleaners aswell.

Aswell, going back to what you said before, GDDR2 and GDDR3 does not correlate with DDR2 and DDR3 motherboards. What do I do with this?

meh, don't bother w/ the driver cleaner pro crap, im sure its good, but there is really no need for it... All you have to do is disable you current Gcard drivers and install the new ones...
I switched my 8400GS a month ago to a 4670 and i jus unistalled the old drivers and installed the new, and perfect, it hasn't messed up yet...

Twist86

Hi,

I am wanting to update my current graphics card - GeForce 8500 GT to the XFX GeForce 9800 GT, but my current card uses DDR2 memory while the 9800 uses GDDR3 memory.

Won't this work or is it no problem? I have a Foxconn N15235 motherboard if this helps.

Also can anyone reccoment which card model.

Thanks.

Unless the GPU is of a different spec a example is AGP vs PCI-E there will never be a issue with the ram on the card. Its different then PC ram.

The only issues that occur for most GPU upgrades is if your power supply can handle it or not.

Jimmy Bond

Previously kookooshortman55 mentioned that there was no correlation between DDR and GDDR memory, but some cards have on them DDR3 memory and the Ram my computer takes is DDR2. Is this an issue?

Also could anyone recommend what model of the card I should get and where the best prices are (In pounds please). Or would it even be better for me to spend a little more on the 9800 GTX +?

Currently I have found this deal for the 9800 GT at:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-98GT1B

How is it, and will it be ok?

lovely?

Previously kookooshortman55 mentioned that there was no correlation between DDR and GDDR memory, but some cards have on them DDR3 memory and the Ram my computer takes is DDR2. Is this an issue?

Also could anyone recommend what model of the card I should get and where the best prices are (In pounds please). Or would it even be better for me to spend a little more on the 9800 GTX +?

Currently I have found this deal for the 9800 GT at:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-98GT1B

How is it, and will it be ok?

look at it this way. your PC uses RAM, or ddr memory, to store data like open programs and files. your video card uses gddr memory to hold graphics things. these two types of ram are completely seperate and have nothing to do with eachother, ever. so the simple answer is, uninstall your current video card, turn the computer off, take out the video card, put the new video card in, and turn the computer back on.