XFXs warrenty question

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys,

Right i cant be bothred spending ages reading all through XFXs site to see their warrenty terms.

I was wondering if anyone knows....Will my XFX warranty still be okay on my 4890 if i take the heatsink off and replace the Thermal paste with some MX-2 or AS5?...i will be putting the stock cooler back on after,I just want to replace the stock thermal paste.

Im sure replacing the gunk they put on with the quality TP will nock off a numbers off my temps?

It runs around 55- 60c idle.

Bodaggit23

You'll be fine as long as you return it to stock before you send it in.

I'm going through an RMA as we speak, and the terms state:

Please return your XFX product to stock. This includes any firmware modifications, or hardware modifications such as a 3rd
party fan. If a product is received without factory hardware, it will likely be rejected at the door and sent back, as well as any
cards with permanent physical modification such as solder points not made during the manufacturing process.

Seen here:
ftp://xfxsupport.com/public/other/PCA_RMA_TC.pdf

linkin

VIP Member
Hey guys,

Right i cant be bothred spending ages reading all through XFXs site to see their warrenty terms.

I was wondering if anyone knows....Will my XFX warranty still be okay on my 4890 if i take the heatsink off and replace the Thermal paste with some MX-2 or AS5?...i will be putting the stock cooler back on after,I just want to replace the stock thermal paste.

Im sure replacing the gunk they put on with the quality TP will nock off a numbers off my temps?

It runs around 55- 60c idle.

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support/WarrantyInformation.aspx

It does say that if if you need it repaired it needs to have original components, i'm not sure whether that covers thermal paste. But it does say something about "preventetive maintenance" so i guess thermal paste would fall under that. My 4850 idles 38-40c, with the stock paste.

In the past i replaced the gunk on some of my cards with IC Diamond 7, and it worked well, dropped temps a few degrees. I didn't use AS5 because it is capacative, and GPU's have an open die, so while not conductive it does hold a charge. not good with an open die :eek:

I'm also doing an RMA, for my 4850.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just found on another website that some actualy emailed XFX and asked them the same question,If it was okay to removed the thermal paste and re-apply some fresh.

Apparently this was the reply...

Tampering with or removing the existing cooling solution will void the warranty of the product, so we would advise against this.

So looks like stick gunk is staying on :D

linkin93 said:
I didn't use AS5 because it is capacative, and GPU's have an open die, so while not conductive it does hold a charge. not good with an open die

Well,I used AS5 on my old 8800GT and its still working fine to this day,Knocked temps right down aswell when i done it....they put loads of gunky crap on.:D

Thanks anyway guys