Xi-Fi vs Audigy

stalled

I'm keen on gettin g anew sound card but can't really decide between the xi-fi extremem music or tyhe audigy 4. I'm keen on gaming but also do a bit of music for the video editing I do. Do you think theres much of a difference between the two? Which would be the best?

PC eye

banned
I've been running the Audigy 4 Pro model here for some time after the previous Audigy 2 ZS Gamer suddenly went. The system here is used for both gaming and video capturing/editing along with some beta testing. I found the Audigy 4 Pro a definite improvement at the time. I can assume from the good reports the same is true on the Xi-Fi model currently out. Some report a big difference between the two models. But I've been quite satisfied with the Audigy model for a variety of reasons.

stalled

Clutch said:
First off, it's the X-Fi, not the Xi-Fi.

The X-Fi is better than the Audigy 4.

Sorry Clutch, I didn't make it to church on sunday :D

Thanks to both of you. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the X-Fi, I like the look of the Platinum except over here there is a $180 difference so I'd say I'll be getting the music.

Cheers guys.

PC eye

banned
Well those are the two newest models out. You can also add a control panel face late adapter in a 5 1/4" bay for input and output levels there. That's another thought to pass along here.

stalled

Yeah I saw that and think that'd be good to sort of future proof it incase I take things a little further with the video stuff I'm doing. Do you know if they are able to be used with the older control adapters? My friend has an older one maybe from the audigy series and I don't know if he wants to keep it or what.

Geoff

VIP Member
I dont think there compatible, but I can't be sure.

I know that the X-Fi front panel has different connectors and doesnt have any firewire, so im not sure if that will hinder correct operation.

mat2317

i have X-FI xtreme music, and it sounds soo much better and clearer. Makes the music have a better impact imo

Matt :D

PC eye

banned
Prior to the X-Fi series the 5 1/4" control panel was available for the Audigy series cards as an option only. The real difference now is that it is included with the new model card. The newer better usually is the case with Creative. Yet one thing most don't know is they are resource grabbers when gaming or pushing multimedia a stretch. I hear the PINE alot but never see that name at any vendors to look over their line of cards.

stalled

Ok, has the xram thing they have on them now taken the resource use down much or would that not affect it?

PC eye

banned
I imagine that the new model offers more features you would utilize with the front panel for mixing different input sources as well as basic recording and playback. Sound Blaster has a rep for grabbing resources when heavy gaming comes into play. If you run into problems with XP getting that auto report to Microsoft concerning a device driver thinking it is a video driver wrong there. Simply use the DXDiag utility to lower or shut off the sound acceleration. That often is quick fix there. But with other cards you wouldn't get that EAX component that is sought in games for audio effects there.

Geoff

VIP Member
stalled said:
Ok, has the xram thing they have on them now taken the resource use down much or would that not affect it?
The XRAM doesnt use up much (if any) additional resources on your computer. When newer games come out that support it, it will actually increase the game FPS and sounds will be much higher quality, since the sound data is stored on the sound card and not in system RAM.