xp & 7 workgroup

donadoni

having a few problems trying to set a workgroup

laptop1 7 home premium

laptop2 7 homepremium

pc xp sp3

all in the workgroup called WORK
all on the same network address

im looking to use the pc as a file & print server but cant get xp to be part of the workgroup ( no homegroup is set)

both laptops are able to share

any ideas why its not recognised

deanj20

That's strange. When you go to My Network Places and click View Workgroup Computers on the XP desktop, you cannot see the Windows 7 laptops?

It would seem that the XP desktop isn't part of the Workgroup "WORK"

Have you tried running the Network Setup Wizard again and making sure to type the correct Workgroup Name?

If that doesn't get it, then try the suggestions outlined here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

Post back and let me know!

donadoni

ive tried that tutorial mate cheers.

yes ive tried new connection ive changed the clients & workgroup names several times but to no avail.

very confused as i thought it would be very simple

deanj20

Yeah - you would think. Well, what's the setup like? Is the PC hardwired to the router, while the laptops use wireless? See if one can ping the other using the IP address assigned by the router. Maybe they can't "see" eachother on any level.

We'll figure it out. ;)

donadoni

Yeah - you would think. Well, what's the setup like? Is the PC hardwired to the router, while the laptops use wireless? See if one can ping the other using the IP address assigned by the router. Maybe they can't "see" eachother on any level.

We'll figure it out. ;)
it was at work im in the house now so dont have access to the machines.

the laptops are wireless and directly replaced 2 xp pcs. same ip's ect

i tried to ping but was unsuccesful but i put that down to the firewall probably blocking ICMP. (didnt check though as i thought if the 2 laptops can network so it will prob be compatability)

im thinking of taking the easy option upgrade the PC to 7 home premium.

deanj20

That may work. If not, look at your router settings, as it may be restricting the computers from communicating.

I have an XP Pro laptop using wireless, an XP Home desktop hardwired and a Slackware Linux desktop server running SAMBA using wireless, all connected to a secured linksys wireless router and they all respond to ping from one another. Whether they're connected to the same workgroup or not.

Actually, I would look at the router settings first, unless you just want to upgrade the desktop anyway.

Let me know. :D

donadoni

That may work. If not, look at your router settings, as it may be restricting the computers from communicating.

I have an XP Pro laptop using wireless, an XP Home desktop hardwired and a Slackware Linux desktop server running SAMBA using wireless, all connected to a secured linksys wireless router and they all respond to ping from one another. Whether they're connected to the same workgroup or not.

Actually, I would look at the router settings first, unless you just want to upgrade the desktop anyway.

Let me know. :D

i will do try the router 1st i just ruled it out as the workgroup was fine before the laptops.

cheers for the advice i will let you know how it goes :good: