Xp Blue Screen... Help plz

zerohostile

so whenever i get into a game it runs fine for a bit then BAM crash!

finally gave a msg not just all blue...

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xFA9A3F26, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF6843550)

ALCXWDM.SYS ADDRESS F6843550 base at F6672000,

DATESTAMP 446d776a

PLZ can anyone tell me which driver is causing crash based on this?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's your sound driver. Boot to safe mode, uninstall the sound driver and then download the latest driver for your system and install it.

zerohostile

ok, this is a new error to me, pc ran fine up till about a month ago, started randomly, now getting more and more frequent, whilst awaiting a response here i googled the error and discovered this was the ac97 audio driver, rolled the driver back to before it had issues, now currently still getting the BSOD after a little bit of gameplay, only now it is blank again... I will reinstall the audio drivers entirely however, I'm curious. is the text-free BSOD most likely the same error, if so, why no error code?

Pleeeease!

Be weary of those wannabe techs!

You have a hardware issue and like an 80% chance that it's bad ram. If you have multiple ram sticks play around by taking them all out and inserting them one by one and restarting your computer to see if it's a bad stick. Otherwise you're gonna have to go throught the similar motions to see what hardware is giving you the issues. To see if it's the motherboard have only these things plugged in: the power cord to the computer, the power to the motherboard and the video to the monito and a mouse and keyboard. Best of luck!

zerohostile

I have already fiddled with ram combos... have second computer and all stick work just fine in that one, all 512 sticks, every combo works fine in other computer as well as single stick at a time, all seem functional... running Hard Drive diagnostic currently to see if that is the issue... And how do you suggest checking other hardware? I have multiple of almost everything (graphics cards, sound cards (though using onboard audio on the pc in question), HD's... However the crash occurs anywhere from 10 minutes into a game to an hour into a game... and NO other time, but on several different games... So, how do you suggest i test individual hardware items w/out it taking forever and a day to tell if it worked? Also if it is a hardware issue (especially RAM) is it not possible my coded BSOD which referred to my Audio Driver was a misinformed byproduct of the "other" hardware failure?

Pleeeease!

You are right!

I know plug and play is a long way of resolving hardware problems. But here's another thought, if this crash is only occuring when you get that error message when playing a game then it might be a memory issue but of another sort. Perhaps you are getting an overload. This can occur several ways but here's the most common: 1. not enough ram 2. not enough bus capacity on the motherboard or too weak a cpu 3. too many programs competing to share the memory at the same time (this is especially true in a virus plagued computer) 4. not enough video memory on the video card. It could be one, all, or combination.

Aren't computers fun?

zerohostile

well the primary game is 12 years old (diablo II i know, i'm a loser lol) and i run 1g ddr memory, 3.0ghz P4, 128mb Xstacy Radeon 9550. No where near a great computer, but i remember playing it on a 333mhz cpu w/64 mb RAM and an 8mb vid card :( sad to assume it is EATING my current computer up lol... also runs counterstrike source fine (almost full high quality less shadow quality) up until recent issues anyway lol... Run adaware, malwarebytes, and scan with up-to-date McAfee anti-virus frequently... HD diagnostic shows a few bad sectors, but can't repair till i backup 102g bytes of data, though i dont believe that is my overall issue, have dealt with bad sectors before with little to no effect, but i know that in the same aspect 1 bad sector could be the cause if in the perfectly wrong spot :( Making primary drive my secondary drive starting over on fresh formatted drive i guess...

zerohostile

well...

ok, so i have basically rebuilt from the ground up... kinda... HDD is repaired successfully, RAM is fine, Graphics Card is fine, However having had some time to think about it, a while back i had the same issue occasionally, and it just went away, I am using a 3.0Ghz p4, 1g ddr ram, in a p4m80-m4 BioStar board which has onboard ac97 audio... The problem is for sure my sound card or driver, disabled sound in my game works fine, ran ventrillo the other night for about 15 minutes BAM crash again, but I can play music (gets a bit distorted occasionally) without any crashing... In my device manager i am not allowed to change my irq even though it says no confilcts. Was wondering, since i tinker with my BIOS occasionally if maybe the time this happened b4, and this time aren't whoopses on my part, how do i insure that I haven't reserved a required irq or somthing of that nature. Also is it possible i need more resources, such as by disabling com ports or something? Fairly computer literate but BIOS hates me usually any further help is appreciated.

zerohostile

Ok, so i'm getting ANOTHER message from the god of the blue screen of death, this one tells me to sacrifice the innocent to attain an error free computer :( at least that's what i can make of it... What it actually says is:

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

0x0000004e (0x00000007, 0x0003171d, 0x00000001, 0x00000000)

followed by recovery errors:
BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 00630054 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : F643431C OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

and:

BCCode : 4e BCP1 : 00000007 BCP2 : 0003171D BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

Can someone tell me what the hell this code means, also how to figure out what product 256_1 is so i can destroy it (humanely of course :) lol)