Windows XP XP boot disk and boost USB trouble

SeriouslyRobert

So I was installing XP off an old disk of mine for a friend and there were a few scratches and it caused some dlls to go corrupt. It got to the starting windows phase and blue screened.

I made a bootable disk with a different bootable ISO that I downloaded from a forum. The cd reader wouldn't even read it. So I'm thinking one of the corrupt dlls affected the cd drive. I then used rufus to create a bootable usb with that same ISO and tried another also. It booted, went through the loading then did the same thing as the disk... went to blue screen when it got to the starting windows part.

Please help. I would just install windows 7 if the computer would handle it. He's an old guy and likes the XP and the computer is maxed with 1gb ram.

Any ideas would help. Is there any way to boot from the backup image on the hdd? I looked through the BIOS and didn't see anything. Thanks in advance.

beers

Staff member
and the computer is maxed with 1gb ram.
What other specs are in this? 1GB limitation goes back to the SDRAM days.

BSOD during installation or boot is different behavior than unreadable file contents, I'd assume more failing hardware tbh.
He's an old guy and likes the XP
You'd be better off skinning W10 or something, keep in mind XP hasn't had any security updates in over 6 years.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Trash it and have him buy a refurbished tower that runs windows 7, if they can be found.

SeriouslyRobert

What other specs are in this? 1GB limitation goes back to the SDRAM days.

BSOD during installation or boot is different behavior than unreadable file contents, I'd assume more failing hardware tbh.

You'd be better off skinning W10 or something, keep in mind XP hasn't had any security updates in over 6 years.

It was installing and it asked if I wanted to skip the file after it tried to install it a few times. The file was corrupt and i just skipped it. I wasn't watching which file it was, so it may have been a startup file which caused it to blue screen because it was completely missing.

He has sdram. It's a newer tower but someone built it for him about 12 years ago and he wants to keep it as is. He's not worried about security issues, he just wants to keep what he's familiar with and what his current specs will handle.

I just want to know what other options I have for installation, or if there's anywhere I can get a free or cheap XP restore disk that I can try.

Trash it and have him buy a refurbished tower that runs windows 7, if they can be found.

He doesn't have money and he's old enough he just wants to stick with what he has. I'm just trying to figure out other options for installation or restoring that are possible.