XP Boot to Black Screen

enothor

I'm using a Toshiba laptop and when I turn it on it posts (slowly) and then goes to the XP loading screen, afterwards it goes to a black screen and does nothing more. It will not boot into safe mode, and I've tried starting it with various startup options such "last settings that worked" and such. No new hardware has been installed or removed. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

kimsland

There are a few options on the Advanced Options Menu
Including:

• Safe Mode
  • Safe Mode with Networking
  • Safe Mode with Command Prompt
  • Enable Boot Logging
  • Enable VGA Mode
  • Last Known Good Configuration
  • Directory Service Restore Mode
  • Debugging Mode
Try "Enable VGA Mode"
Then once you're in, go to:
  • Start > Run > devmgmt.msc
  • Click on the "+" sign on "Display Adapters"
  • Right click on your expanded, display adapter
  • Select "Uninstall" (it may say remove or delete)
  • Restart normally, to Normal Mode ;)
  • Re-install your Display Adapter driver, ideally from your Manufacture driver support page

--------

If the above doesn't work either
Then you may need to run CheckDisk on your drive
  • Boot (start) from your XP CD
  • Select the first "R" prompt (for the "Recovery Console")
  • Select the Administrator account, ie > "1"
  • Now press Enter key
  • (Probably no password for the account)
  • Type in: chkdsk /r and then press enter
  • Restart back to Normal Mode (also remove the XP CD)
Ideally let me know the result :)

enothor

Unfortunately it's not even posting now. It powers on and then just idles. Occasionally it will post, but mostly it's just sitting there and then powering down after a few minutes. I also noticed the CPU fan is not spinning, shouldn't it always spin?

kimsland

Remove the battery and power cord (two things there ;))
Hold down the ON button for 30 seconds
Plug in the power cord only (ie leave the battery out for the moment)
Turn on

If it works, turn it back off, and re-insert the battery
Turn on again

This happens sometimes ;)

enothor

Nothing changed...anymore suggestions? Still just a black screen, no post, no anything...just lights.

kimsland

Same as above, but before putting the power cable (only) back in:
Unplug any externals (like external Mouse; Keyboard; Printer... so forth)
Under the laptop, locate the Ram cover (just unscrew the first cover)
Remove the cover then reseat the Ram card(s) (take them out and click them in again)
I'd also recommend doing this for the Hard Drive as well (its under the other cover ;))

Then plug in
Then turn on

That should work

enothor

still nothing...even tried an external monitor to verify that was not the cause. It ddin't work either. anything else?

enothor

what exactly is the "display off micro button" mentioned in your guide? Could I possibly utilize this?

kimsland

The button is located under the screen
It allows the screen to go into off or suspend mode, when closed (when you push the screen down)

By the way, I thought of another idea ;)
Remove the Hard Drive all together (the laptop does not need the hard drive to turn on, and you are just tring to get it to POST)

Also try that Ram card reset again (ie remove them, blow out any dust, re insert them)
Actually if you have two ram cards installed, try one at a time

Note: everytime you do this, also hold the power ON button in for 30 secs before removing/installing internal hardware

After all this, please let me know the outcome

enothor

still nothing, I think it may be the mobo...or the onboard video, but I'm really leaning toward the mobo considering the power lights on the top won't even stay lit now, just the power on indicator on the front.

kimsland

The Ram cards are securely pushed and clicked into place?
The hard drive is pushed in properly?
The power cord (adapter) is turned on at the wall?
Battery out?

Maybe just tap it a little underneath, maybe there's some dust across some electronics inside

At this stage it may be dismantle the laptop time :(
Under the keyboard, you should be able to locate the CPU, which can also be reseated (but then you'll need new heatsink paste for the cooler element

Yes its getting a concern

gamblingman

VIP Member
Toshiba

It wont do anything now, eh?

Have you dropped it recently, or done anything that might jar things, maybe kids playing with laptop? (no offense intended)

Any weird noises or smells from the laptop? Do you ever get a static shock from the laptop?

Before this all started did you see any error messages, a BSOD, a slow loading of OS or programs, slow POST'ing?

Have you had problems charging the batteries?

Do you have antivirus software; if so what manufacturer? How often do you scan your computer? How many infections would you estimate are found on a monthly basis?

Though it may be a BIOS infection, I highly doubt it. Most viruses today don't target BIOS. But knowing how often you scan and what you scan with will be good info.

I'm leaning toward a power supply problem. Have you plugged in anywhere that might be prone to spikes, surges, power outages?

When plugging in, you may want to consider checking the outlets for a problem. There is a little tool you can use to see if there are wiring problems at the socket. I use it before I plug in my laptop anyplace thats unfamiliar. Or take the chance of hearing "POP!", and the laptop is toast. You can buy them at home supply centers.

Learn about wiring testers here: http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemaintenance/electrical/outlettest.php

linkin

VIP Member
You could try removing the CMOS battery and holding the power button (unplugged and without the battery in)
I've done this on a laptop before. If you undo some screws and take everything out that you can (without taking the whole laptop apart) you should be able to access the battery.