XP cleanup

duped

Hi gang,

I recently bought a used Dell Inspiron 5100 off craigslist and need direction in giving XP a good ol' cleanup. At 2.4ghz it should be nice and fast, but installing/removing programs and even starting up some programs (itunes especially) takes a frustrating amount of time. It looks like the previous owner did not clean up after herself. She deleted all her old files and programs, but ctrl+alt+del shows that there are a TON of processes running, and I'm not sure what they are. Normally I would just give XP a new install, but she didn't give me the XP cd with it. Is there a way to give my XP a fresh start without needing to buy a new OS? I also plan on booting linux (giving suse a shot) but sometimes windows is just easier.

Thanks,
Ryan

------------------------
Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.3ghz
384 RAM
Hasn't had overheating problems yet :)

Last edited:

duped

apj:

No certificate either. She also become quite elusive when I asked if she had them. But thanks for the suggestion

Ryan

dark_legacy2006

well i dont think you can completely clean your computer without a windows cd, and im doubting you got recovery cds (all newer comps come with them)

meanman

run a couple of spyware programs go to run and type msconfig then hit return
click the startup tab and disable everything other than your antivirus do a antivirus scan defrag the hdd and finally do a disk check

Advitiya Saxena

just ask dell to send a XP cd. they will send it in 5 days. i was trapped in such a problem but then dell themselve called me n asked me if i m having some problem and i just opened my mouth :D