XP Home and 4GB RAM

cRABu

no, xp home manages RAM as Professional does. And it is not limited to 120 hdd space. I am not sure about this but i think NTFS is limited to 120gb/partition.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Le sigh...

Windows XP was limited to seeing a max partition size of 137 GB, widely-known as the "137 GB Barrier". If you had a 160 GB HDD, it would see 137 GB. If you took that 160 GB HDD and made two 80 GB partitions, it would see 2 80 GB partitions.

SP 1 allowed the OS to natively recognize larger partitions without the use of 'tweaking', hence the single-partition 500 GB's that folks seem to eat up.

tyttebøvs

Le sigh...

Windows XP was limited to seeing a max partition size of 137 GB, widely-known as the "137 GB Barrier". If you had a 160 GB HDD, it would see 137 GB. If you took that 160 GB HDD and made two 80 GB partitions, it would see 2 80 GB partitions.

It actually did not. That limitation was bound in the ATA protocol. No more than 2^28 sectors could be addressed, and hence it wouldn't matter how many partitions you would create.

Due to a limitation in the MBR partitioning scheme, 32bit XP supports harddrives up to 2TB in size (with a sector size of 512 bytes).

Last edited:

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
hence it wouldn't matter how many partitions you would create.

Oh? I was unaware of that. I vaguely recall partitioning a Drive ages ago that would show up at 137 for one, but over 137 for two. My memory is sketchy after so long. Learn something new every day, I suppose.

sandlotje89

First, why you want to use alot of ram for xp? If you use 2gb for xp pro, many people say it a plenty of ram. If you want to use 3 or 4 gb, better you use vista...

Not exactly the best response. The amount of RAM needed also depends on much more than just the OS being used. Other software (especially if all being run at once) can greatly benefit from 3-4 gigs.