XP Memory Max

CorySrt19

Alright I may be way off here but ive seen and read that Windows XP and Vista have a max amount of memory that they can recognize to use. Apparently around 3.7 GB or something like that? So why would so many people move up to 8GB if only say 4GB is even recognized? Is it just for future use?

laznz1

Only 32 bits have a real memory cap and i think it around the 4 gig 64bit can go up to 128gigs i think

tyttebøvs

Windows XP recognizes 3.5

Vista recognizes 4 but can only use around 3.25

You make it sound like there is a difference. There is not. "recognizes" ... Microsoft just chose to change the display properties in Vista/SP1. So recognition is a strong word to use

sg1

Going off on a tangent I thinks!!!!

The OP didn't want you all to discuss what can be seen in 32Bit Vista/XP, They wanted to know why people would install more than what can be seen/used.

The other reason I installed 4GB DDRII in my main machine (32Bit OS) was I wanted max amount available but whilst retaining my Dual Channel memory status. :)

tyttebøvs

The OP didn't want you all to discuss what can be seen in 32Bit Vista/XP, They wanted to know why people would install more than what can be seen/used.

The other reason I installed 4GB DDRII in my main machine (32Bit OS) was I wanted max amount available but whilst retaining my Dual Channel memory status. :)

He didn't wanted to know that either. Or do you also install 8GB to retain dual channel support?

Anyways, some people dual boot with systems that can go above 4GB. Other people uses 4GB for OS and 4GB for ram drive. Etc

sg1

He didn't wanted to know that either. Or do you also install 8GB to retain dual channel support?

Yes he did actually and something tells me you're probably from USA because you always have to have last word!! (waits for some backchatting reply :rolleyes: )