XP no longer boots when slave is connected.

dfalk

My computer was freezing up alot lately, and its been awhile since I did a full system restore so I reinstalled XP, and it was still freezing up. Found out it was a bad power supply, so I replaced it and its been working so far except one thing:

**Note when I reinstalled XP, I unplugged my salve drive just to be safe so I dont accidentally delete a partition, or confuse it with my master**

After I put the new power supply in and made sure everything was working I hooked my slave back up. When I turned my computer back on I get this error

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

I unhooked the slave, and XP booted up just fine. Connected the slave again and same error message. Checked my BIOS and both HHDs show up, the master is set as master and same with the slave. The boot order is correct as well.

What could cause this to happen? Is the whole HDD shot??

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Either the hard drive is bad or you have a jumper issue or setting in the bios wrong. You can do a diagnostic on the hard drive by downloading the hard drive makers disk diagnostic utility and scan the drive.