XP not seeing dvd drive

Masterfulks

My friend has a dell laptop running xp.

He has a dvd drive for it, but once it's inserted it doesn't show up under my computer, or device manager, or anywhere else I can find.

I looked in the bios, but I've only used a couple of bios windows, and this one didn't look friendly.

I've not really ever messed with laptops much so I'm running out of ideas.

It's a computer from his work, so I'm wondering if they've locked out the drive somehow.

Any tips?

m0nk3ys1ms

Can he try to boot from a disc? Like a Windows or Linux disc or something? If that doesn't work, I would try pulling out the drive and putting it back in, and if that's a no go, then I'd say the drive is shot and he needs to get a replacement from his work.

Masterfulks

We've pulled the drive out and reinserted it.

I'm thinking that the drive is just locked out somehow as he said others have had to get the IT guy to unlock their drives.

He said his USB ports didn't work either, but he got the IT guy to unlock those. I think they are a little reluctant to unlock the dvd drive for some reason.

Masterfulks

I found out others were making it work.

They were taking the little battery out for awhile, to reset the bios or bios password.

Though if that completely takes the password out, then any future problem with the laptop might get him in trouble since it would easy to see.