XP: Not your typical missing CD/DVD Rom Problem.

Safyreking

Ok, Hopefully someone can help as I'm completely stumped. For the record I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to windows and troubleshooting so don't be afraid to get into detail.

Here goes. About 2 weeks ago my CD and DVD Roms have seemingly disappeared from both Device Manager and My Computer. I have tried all the common solutions to no avail.

Connected? - Yes, the computer will boot from either drive if an appropriate bootable disk is in the drive - for instance the Windows XP Setup CD.

Registry Corruption? - No, at least it doesn't seem like it: there's no upper or lower filters to delete in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" key.

User Policy Issue? - No, again it doesn't seem like it because I've created a new profile and the drives still do not appear.

I had at one point used a virtual drive program called Daemon Tools and the program had been uninstalled. The catch is this problem is that it didn't show up until almost a -full month- after Daemon Tools uninstallation. Needless to say I'm at a complete loss right now.

If anyone can help me avoid a complete OS reinstall it would greatly appreciated.

-James

FunnelWeb

you could go in the registry and delete anything you find relating to daemon tools??

but i hope you have a bit of knowledge while trying this as deleting a wrong file can make your o.s unbootable.

if you feel o.k about it go to start > run > type regedit > then click on hkey classes root folder > go to edit > then find > type in daemon tools > and make sure that keys value and data boxes are ticked and then click find next. anythng it finds on the opposite page just delete. hope this helps or if your unsure about this then don't do it.

deanj20

So strange. I wonder - do they show up in safe mode? If so, could be some sort of start-up process is causing the problem. Malware can also cause this problem, though it's not common.

See if the drives are there in safe mode. Also, you may want to go ahead and run some malware scans and disable all unneeded processes (especially anything to do w/ multimedia or that would otherwise access the cd drives) from starting up via msconfig.

You could also install something like PC Wizard and see if it 'sees' the drives.

Keep posting back - we'll figure this one out. I'm very curious to find out what the solution is. ;)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I've had this happen to me before. I believe it has to do with a missing registry key, but I can't be sure. I'll do a little research and post back.

*EDIT*

Give this a try:

1. Click Start, then Run, then enter REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor
2. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class entry
3. Under the Class entry, double click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the UpperFilters entry
5. Make sure the UpperFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
6. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the LowerFilters entry
7. Make sure the LowerFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
8. Close the Registry Editor by clicking File, Exit.

deanj20

voyagerfan99,

his post:
Registry Corruption? - No, at least it doesn't seem like it: there's no upper or lower filters to delete in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Control\C lass\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" key.

your post:
2. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class entry
3. Under the Class entry, double click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

;)

mellow

I've had this happen to me before. I believe it has to do with a missing registry key, but I can't be sure. I'll do a little research and post back.

*EDIT*

Give this a try:

1. Click Start, then Run, then enter REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor
8. Close the Registry Editor by clicking File, Exit.

Yep, i had similar problem before, and this has worked.