XP on a HP Pavilion dv7 64 bit

sinebar

Can XP be installed on a HP Pavilion dv7 64 bit laptop? I tried to load it but got the blue screen thing. I'm guessing it does not support XP.

wolfeking

banned
you need the SATA drivers slipstreamed onto your XP disk.
On top of that, there is no XP driver support for your DV7. This does not mean that XP wont install, just check around from your hardware manufacturers site (nvidia/AMD, broadcom, probably atheros, and intel/amd for the chipset drivers)

sinebar

you need the SATA drivers slipstreamed onto your XP disk.
On top of that, there is no XP driver support for your DV7. This does not mean that XP wont install, just check around from your hardware manufacturers site (nvidia/AMD, broadcom, probably atheros, and intel/amd for the chipset drivers)

Slipstreamed? What does that mean? Would it be easier to install XP on a seperate partition of my drive that already has Windows 7 so I could have a duel boot option? Thanks!

wolfeking

banned
it is possible to dual boot.

Slipstreamed means that you install an additional driver to the install disk. Without this SATA driver, you will not be able to boot, due to the BSOD problem.

I am not sure how to slipstream, but im sure John, or one of the other senior users can guide you through it.

sinebar

it is possible to dual boot.

Slipstreamed means that you install an additional driver to the install disk. Without this SATA driver, you will not be able to boot, due to the BSOD problem.

I am not sure how to slipstream, but im sure John, or one of the other senior users can guide you through it.

Yeah I definately got the BSOD.:( Hopefully one of those experts will offer some advice here.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
In this case I would do a test install on a blank hard drive that you may have laying around so you don't screw up your Windows 7 install. There may be some hardware that doesn't support xp. Once xp is installed, I can help you find the correct drivers if they exist. I'm at work on my phone right now but can help you more tomorrow if you give me the exact model number of dv7 you have. So I can determine if it has an xp SATA driver available.

sinebar

In this case I would do a test install on a blank hard drive that you may have laying around so you don't screw up your Windows 7 install. There may be some hardware that doesn't support xp. Once xp is installed, I can help you find the correct drivers if they exist. I'm at work on my phone right now but can help you more tomorrow if you give me the exact model number of dv7 you have. So I can determine if it has an xp SATA driver available.

I'll look and see if I can find the model number. I should be on the bottom of the computer I think.

Model#: dv7t-1000 That's what the lable says.

Thanks!

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
thats what we needed.
I checked HP and they dont have a sata driver listed on the main page for that dv7. When John gets on later, he may be able to aid you better than I. I would suggest that you wait for him.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have time tonight to look into this, i did look really quick and it looks like we may be able to slipstream the sata driver into a new install cd. I just got home from work but have to be back in like 7 hours so i'm going to bed shortly and can help you more tomorrow after I get home from work.

sinebar

I don't have time tonight to look into this, i did look really quick and it looks like we may be able to slipstream the sata driver into a new install cd. I just got home from work but have to be back in like 7 hours so i'm going to bed shortly and can help you more tomorrow after I get home from work.

Thanks I appreciate this.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, before I pull my hair on this. Check the bios on the laptop to see if you can change the sata controller setting from ahci/raid to IDE/compatibility. The next step I need you to do is go into device manager and click the plus sign next to the following entries and tell me whats listed.

1. sound
2. network
3. display adapter

I've found a couple websites that have successfully downgraded this laptop to XP with links to drivers.

sinebar

Ok, before I pull my hair on this. Check the bios on the laptop to see if you can change the sata controller setting from ahci/raid to IDE/compatibility. The next step I need you to do is go into device manager and click the plus sign next to the following entries and tell me whats listed.

1. sound
2. network
3. display adapter

I've found a couple websites that have successfully downgraded this laptop to XP with links to drivers.

I'm working on this info and should have it for you shortly. Thanks!

sinebar

1. sound
2. network
3. display adapter

Well I checked the bios and it has no option for IDE hard drive that I could see.

Here's what I found under in device manager.

sound
IDT high definition audio CODEC
NVIDIA HDMI Audio

network
Intel wireless WiFi link 5100
Realtek RTL8168C(p)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

display adapter
NVIDIA GeForce9600M GT

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Would have been much easier if you were able to change the sata setting.

Here is one of those pages I was telling about.

http://notebookblogonline.com/installing-windows-xp-hp-pavilion-dv7t-series/

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to help you. It has links for certain drivers you'll need and links to nlite and instructions on how to do it. Like I said before, I would do this on an spare drive before you screw up your windows 7 install.

Any particular reason why you want to install XP on this?

sinebar

Would have been much easier if you were able to change the sata setting.

Here is one of those pages I was telling about.

http://notebookblogonline.com/installing-windows-xp-hp-pavilion-dv7t-series/

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to help you. It has links for certain drivers you'll need and links to nlite and instructions on how to do it. Like I said before, I would do this on an spare drive before you screw up your windows 7 install.

Any particular reason why you want to install XP on this?

Thanks for the link John. I really appreciate your help with this. Yes I do have a spare drive. In fact I have a couple of them. The reason I want to install XP is that some of my favorite older game programs will not run on Windows 7. Also XP is easy to deal with. Windows 7 is a pain. It would be nice to have XP handy because there is still a lot of programs that are still relevent that use XP. Again thanks for your help and advise.:)