XP on an old 4GB computer HELP!

nohow24u

Im new on here and have a 4GB older computer which i have installed XP home edition. It is my girlfriends computer and it has about 14% free space left. I have removed all I can think of to get this unit to work alot better. I know BUY a new 1. im working on it but i just need it to work for another month. What can i do for an easy fix to speed it up and clear so room up. I have verizon DSL 1.5. Any suggestion will be greatly welcomed.
Thanks NOHOW

kof2000

disk cleanup, defragmentation, add and remove programs you dont need. remove office setup files if you installed office. u can also compress your drive if you dont mind slowing down the drive.

StasysPC

lol at my church our sound room computer that records the pastor's messages is running XP Pro on a 1.5 GB HD... there's barely enough room to install Cool Edit Pro and record one single message (like 175 MB :rolleyes: ) so we got a crossover cable and hooked it up to the pastor's own computer w/an 80 GB HD and all is well...

If you have another PC close by a crossover cable is a quick fix ;)

StasysPC

it's an old WD Caviar HD... like 1600 MBs if you wanna get technical

it's running it, trust me

Last edited:

apj101

VIP Member
XP pro take up more then 1.5gb's its self...and
not necessarily

Maybe Disable the System Restore thing it may free up 0.5Gb or more
it will save space, not sure if you'll save half a gig though

Take a look at xplite, you should be able to cut the xp installation down to what they claim is 350MB
http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

so we got a crossover cable and hooked it up to the pastor's own computer w/an 80 GB HD and all is well...

If you have another PC close by a crossover cable is a quick fix
and what do you do with this cable???

It is my girlfriends computer and it has about 14% free space left
you must have other stuff installed as well right?

StasysPC

and what do you do with this cable???
If he has documents or files he wants to save, he could save them to another computer temporarily using the crossover cable, then transfer them back when he gets a bigger hard drive