XP opearting system

petervm

Hi,

After reinstalling WXP somehow a second installation occured in the second internal drive of my computer. It is not activated, but by booting the computer asks which should run. I would like to remove the second installation and I am not sure whether it can be simply erased or to use an other method.

Thanks

PVM

terii

Edit your boot.ini file. Be sure you only remove the entry you do not wish to see. I would suspect that you simply reinstalled windows XP and did not overwrite the existing one in which case you have two installations. As I said above, remove the entry for the non working copy of XP. After that you can remove those files from your hard drive. Good luck

petervm

Thanks for the suggestion, but I (or MS search) can not find boot.ini. I know it should be somewhere in windows, but where? File options is configured to show hidden files, yet it is invisible.
Regards
PVM

majid_asgari

how to find boot.ini

it's a hidden file in your system partition.:)

to edit that file: Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
or
::D if u can't find it yet, you must right click on my computer and click properties. go to advanced tab and click Settings under Startup and Recovery. Under System Startup, click Edit.

Sample Boot.ini File
This is a sample of a default Boot.ini file from a Windows XP Professional computer.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
This is a sample of the above Boot.ini file with a previous installation of Windows 2000 on a separate partition.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Modifying the Boot.ini
While you can modify the Boot.ini file using the Startup and Recovery dialog, where you can select the default operating system, change the timeout value, or manually edit the file, the following method uses the command line utility, Bootcfg.exe. 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open text box, type cmd.
3. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /?.
4. The help and parameters for BOOTCFG.exe will display.

Thanks

petervm

I found it and it looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Which one to erase?
Thanks
PVM