XP or 2000 Pro?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Realistically either of them will be good. Note that if you go XP then:
- If you like all the cute stuff ... yay for you
- If you dont like it then be prepared to have to spend a lot of time cleaning it out (there's a lot of gunk in XP both "pretty" and "inefficient")

People will often quote that 2K isnt so great for gaming but realistically "if the game doesnt play in 2K it's probably not worth playing" :) (for the record I use a modified XP)

Grimulus

Praetor said:
Realistically either of them will be good. Note that if you go XP then:
- If you like all the cute stuff ... yay for you
- If you dont like it then be prepared to have to spend a lot of time cleaning it out (there's a lot of gunk in XP both "pretty" and "inefficient")
Quite true praetor. I make xp look as 2000 like as possible.

that's rough decision. i love 2k pro for it's well, professional asthetics. it gamed well from what i could tell as well. I think people get a misconception of windows 2k because a lot of offices and business use it. I'm on it right now actually. :p
i have a clean version of xp pro(because i cleaned out all the bullcrap) at home. If I had to do it again i would have probably stuck with 2000.

If you are interested grab a version of linux and dual boot it for a while. I really, really like openoffice. There are a few linux programs like transgaming that will allow you to play the lastest games in Linux. it plays doom 3 so i'm assuming basically all the games you could think of. I have Suse and really dig it. I'm just using windows right now until i find everything I need to make a full transfer to linux. Then I will probably wipe xp off.

Grimulus

Praetor said:
People will often quote that 2K isnt so great for gaming but realistically "if the game doesnt play in 2K it's probably not worth playing" :) (for the record I use a modified XP)

Theif 3 doesn't run on 2000 but it's worth playing!!!

tommy8748

If I were you i would choose Windows XP, I have it, it runs perfectly. Windows XP is also easy to reboot (Atleast For Me), And their are more games that run on XP rather then on 2000, I also love the style especialy the Silver Color Scheme for the taskbar.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
There's a lot of problems with win2k if using computer for dtp, especially working in quarkxpress (fonts appears differently than on other versions of windows, lack of some printer settings, etc.). But if you plan to use only an office package then win2k is ok.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I'd get XP Pro and just "modify" it. I use classic mode, then just shutoff like half the services u dont use. I like it cuz its totally flexible, you can have it all spruced up looking and awesome with your own custom made themes if you want. Or you can go for the bare stripped metal classic, everything off...and you get really fast response from your PC. and T3 is a really good game if you have the right hardware to aplay it on...kinda like a mediaval splintercell. Play it at night and its really fun, it was made for surround sound 2...so get like 7.1 speakers and then you will see how fun it is.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
There's a lot of problems with win2k if using computer for dtp
I never had any problems with dtp ... (been doing that stuff for roughly 8 years now)... course i never played with Quark ... went Pagemaker & TeX instead ... which fonts did you have problems with?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Not all of the characters from a font charset are visible in win2k. To give you an example: some of the greek.ttf chars misprint in win2k.
TeX is using its own fonts and tfms, so there could be no problem with that. Besides, TeX is the BEST program ever!