XP Pro, error message C:\Windows\win.ini

petervm

Help!

Operating system:WXP Professional

Unexpectedly, an error message appeared when some programs are opened like Outlook or Word, and others, but all programs.

This file or directory C\Windows\win.ini is corrupt and unreadble. Please run chkdsk utility.

In spite of this message , all programs open and I can use the computer, but for example, I can not transfer files.

Chkdsk in Run command would run but returns the following warning:
F parameter not specified, chkdsk in read-only mode. Truncating badly attribute records from file record segment 251

Chdsk in C requires restart: as it can not acces files etc. and I dare not to restart as last time I had to reinstall XP as it would not start at all.

Computer management shows healthy drives. C:\ can not be defragmentet and asks to run chkdsk /f, but if asked to run, it does not recognisses this command.

As the fault mainly apperas in connection with Office 2003 components, I tried the repair it. Unfortunately, this goes only to a certain point and refuses to continue.

Ridiculously, there are no restore points stored in the current system, so I can not reset the computer to an earlier working state!

Obviously, I ould re-install XP Pro, but to save time and agro woud any of you have an idea how the matter could be reolved

Thanks

Peter

wasisnt

You may want to boot up to the recovery console to run chkdsk /f.

Windows XP doesnt like to run scandisk in Windows and thats why it asks you if you want to do it on the next restart.

Try removing Office instead of reparing it.

petervm

Thank you for the suggestion.
Yes, I could remove and re-install Office 2003, but how does this affect win.ini? which I thought win.ini was an integral part of XP.
Will teh computer reboot?
Regards
P.

Bobo

banned
petervm said:
Nothing is visible under win.ini tab!
That's quite a problem! :rolleyes: There should be a bunch of system stuff.....

Go into My Computer, search for win.ini (I can't remember where it is right now) and see if it finds anything.

computerhakk

VIP Member
hmm... i thought windows xp doesn't have a win.ini file anymore. it is still shown in msconfig, but most of the settings for startup are now stored in the registry keys.

it is suppose to be available on windows 98 and lower only. after that, what is supposed to be stored on that file is stored in the registry keys.

what i can think of is you possibly try a registry scan to fix up anything that seems wrong.

go to www.download.com and search for a free registry cleaner.

petervm

I had to leave the computer unattended for a while and when I came back, it turned itself off without going into the usual standby mode. When restarted, it run an automatic scandisk and rebooted with everything working, as before.

The system configuration utility now shows under win.ini a lot of files, or data and the error message in connection with Office 2003 programs has disapeared.

Consequently, I will not reinstall this program.

Many thanks for your suggestions and help!

Petervm