[XP Pro] No system sound

tokyotech

Is there some setting in Windows XP pro that turns on system sounds (startup greeting, dings, etc...) and internet browser sounds (Youtube)? I can only hear sound from Windows Media Player and games. I've made sure that all the master volume bars are maxed and unmuted.

• Gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l mobo
  • Wolfdale 3.0Ghz
  • Evga 8800GT 600Mhz
  • Seagate 7200.11 500GB
  • G.Skill 800Mhz 2GB RAM
  • Win XP Pro
  • Acer 22' LCD
  • Logitech X-540 5.1 Speakers
  • NZXT Apollo case

mLAN

Start - Settings - Control Panel - Sounds and Audio devices, Sounds Tab - Sound scheme: Windows Default - Apply??

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Thats odd. I'd actually guess driver error, but you hear music and game sounds. Thats odd. Do a driver update anyway.

tokyotech

Tried reinstalling everything - no luck.

I am using the onboard audio on this mobo. Sound works perfectly from the headphone jack on the front of the case (connected to the mobo with a wire labeled "HD", not the "AC'97" wire). The back jacks cannot play Youtube / Windows OS sounds. They can only play Windows Media Player, Java, and game sounds. But, I cannot use the front jacks for my 5.1 surround sound, because it requires 3 plugs. How do I get the front's capabilities in the back?

cohen

Tried reinstalling everything - no luck.

I am using the onboard audio on this mobo. Sound works perfectly from the headphone jack on the front of the case (connected to the mobo with a wire labeled "HD", not the "AC'97" wire). The back jacks cannot play Youtube / Windows OS sounds. They can only play Windows Media Player, Java, and game sounds. But, I cannot use the front jacks for my 5.1 surround sound, because it requires 3 plugs. How do I get the front's capabilities in the back?

well that tells you something - it could be the jacks at the back of the mobo.....

tokyotech

I think that the jacks at the back are very good quality. I can watch HD DVD rips with surround sound - each speaker works. I believe it's some software issue. What makes Windows/Browser sounds (which I can't play) from video player and game sounds (which I can play)???