XP Pro vs XP Home ED

dansilva

i always wanted to know what's the difference between XP Pro and XP Home edition. does anyone know the difference, if there is at all? i have a laptop with XP Home OS, is it possible me to install a fresh copy of my XP pro oem to my laptop? is it worth installing at all?

thanks

Imaruki

XP Pro adds something called "Power Users" which are the most customizable profiles on a Windows machine. By customizable, I mean, they can have "powers" that Admin have, but not as powerful, and they can have more "power" than a User. They get special access to things Users, or Limited accounts, can't get to, but are still restricted from some Admin things. This probably sounds confusing, so maybe somebody else here can clear it up a little better, but this is the best way I know how to explain it.

Super_Nova

Home also removes the ability to join a network domain. Basically home is a severly crippled version of Pro. I usually ignore it and have no interest in it.

dansilva

in that case it's worth installing XP Pro over XP home ED in my laptop? shall i install a fresh copy of XP Pro then?

dansilva

alright thanks guys! i will install a fresh copy of XP Pro then do a windows update, SP2 and other essential windows XP components need to be installed or updated.