xp pro won't boot, not even in safe mode

graedus

hi guys, having problems here. it all started when i switched to AVG antivirus. i got infected by a bunch of malware/spyware (whatever you kids are calling it nowadays), i managed to get rid of most of it using hijackthis, cccleaner, and malwarebytes antimalware. so i went to bed. when i woke up, i checked email, checked news/weather, and then saw a new windows update was available and so i started the dl/install on it. moments later the computer rebooted, and got stuck on a blank screen before the windows loading splash screen came up. so i tried to go into safe mode thinking i didn't get all the BS off my computer the night before. problem is, i can't even get into safe mode, it loads about a dozen of the required drivers then freezes. i have no idea what to do now, and i really don't want to reformat and reinstall my OS. i'm running windows xp sp2, and it's off a disk given to me by a computer tech guy about 8 years ago. can anyone help?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely it was the updates that caused the problem. You may now try booting to the install cd and try doing a repair install of the OS. Or boot to the install cd and use the recovery console to use system restore to take your system back to before you downloaded the updates.

Have you tried choosing last known good configuration in the safe mode boot screen?

gamblingman

VIP Member
in addition

Well I totally agree with what Johnb said. But I had a thought...

Have you used a remote repair service to address any problems with your computer? The kind where you turn over control of your computer to someone online and they help you "fix" your computer.

I used this service once, stupidly. And I ended up with so many problems as a result. It took me months to undo what they did to my machine. What they did was to update a lot of applications and also updated some of my drivers and my BIOS. Them updating my drivers and BIOS incorrectly caused a problem much like what you are describing. It was extremely annoying, to say the least.

But if you updated or changed any drivers or BIOS, that may be the problem.

One of my main questions for you is, in the past few months/weeks, have you noticed any other unusual behaviour that you cannot explain? Has your computer been long in booting or not wanting to start programs, screen going to black, or other?

And as a final question, do any children use this computer? I know it sounds bad, but kids can wreak havoc on computers. By step-daughter once found her way into the registry (don't ask me how) and decided to delete "all those things so that mommy's computer would work better!". I ended up having to reinstall windows, ugh. Kids are fun, eh!

If my post is a little "out there...", its because I'm not very articulate today. Hope I made sense.