xp sp2 problems please help!!!

dansilva

hello people i am very new to this forum. so hope all you people co operate with me :) recently i downloaded xp sp2 and since i couldnt open some of my movie folders. everytime i open any one of my movie folders it (computer) freeze (Not Responding) i had such nightmares trying to figure out what was the problem, well i couldnt. so i finally uninstalled xp sp2 then everything worked so perfectly fine,as it was before. can anyone think cause of this problem as well as if there is a hotfix? thank you very much people.

peace out

danny 316

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Is your folder view is set to that fancy good-for-nothing "show common task in folders"? That involves previewing the content of that folder and some DivX-codecs have some issues with SP2, so probably that's why the system freezes.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I've also had big problems with the SP2 upgrade and found it much better to first do a fresh instal of windows xp and then SP2 and that seems to work fine.

cykx

I installed SP2 a few weeks ago and it fixed my net, my browser youd just time out without it. Everything workrd fine, no issues, but now I have to redownload it and reinstall it.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
did you know you can order it from the microsoft website for free? that's what I did and it took 2 weeks and it was at my door.

Sorry Dansilva i'm not trying to hijack your thread or anything :).. but what Lorand said is prob. the problem, sounds good anyhow LOL.. you might want to try a fresh instal so save some headache... Just a suggestion.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
everytime I open any one of my movie folders it (computer) freeze (Not Responding) I had such nightmares trying to figure out what was the problem, well I couldnt. so I finally uninstalled xp sp2 then everything worked so perfectly fine,as it was before. can anyone think cause of this problem as well as if there is a hotfix?
DOes it actually freeze or does it take forever? (i.e., leave it overnight). A lot of the time the OS will parse through the avi files which can take a long time depending on the system and how many movies there are :)

Is your folder view is set to that fancy good-for-nothing "show common task in folders"?
IVe got that on and it doesnt bother me.

I've also had big problems with the SP2 upgrade and found it much better to first do a fresh instal of windows xp and then SP2 and that seems to work fine.
It also seems that users who install SP2 slipstreamed dont have so many problems ....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but I bet you have ffdshow installed. But what if there's a bad written codec in that system
If you have a "bad" codec on the system then it wont play. And since it wont play then you wouldnt have "preview" problems as described here (this is not a bidirectional relationship)

dansilva

hey thanks for the solutions but i cant afford to reinstall a fresh copy of xp as i would loose 280GB worth of music n movies. do you know if there is a hotfix for this? i keep my movie folders on "list" mode still problem occurs just on some files i had for nearly an year.

dan 316

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
But can you play those movie files (of course, opening directly from the player, not double-clicking on them in the explorer)?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
But can you play those movie files (of course, opening directly from the player, not double-clicking on them in the explorer)?
Doesnt matter the OS will use whatever codec/filter is registered for the required playback regardless of how many codecs are installed

dansilva

hey Praetor thanks for your solutions

it freezes but i havent tried leaving it over night coz i really don't like time consumption when i have PC with such components
Intel P4 Norwood 3.0 800FBS
Abit IC7MAX3
ATI RAD 9800 pro 128MB
280GB WD
Soundblaster Audgy 2 OEM
1GB RAM
Pinoeer DVD Wtiter
WIN XP Pro OEM

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I said to open directly because it's impossible to navigate to that file in the explorer - it would freeze the computer...

dansilva

before installing SP2 i was able to play all my movie files but since xp sp2 was installed i couldnt play some of my movie files as it would freez (Not Responding) and make me re start the PC.

dansilva

i already have FFDSHOW installed. do u think uninstalling all other codecs as well as FFDSHOW then reinstall FFDSHOW but no other codecs?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ffdshow can handle several video formats, so theoretically there's no need for other codecs.