XP to Vista not sharing

sj022698

Helping out someone

He's having an issue with them not sharing.

2 computers one is hard wired (Desktop XP) to the modem/router (all one unit) the other is Wireless (Laptop Vista)

The modem/router is a Gateway 2701HG-B

Normally all I had to do was change the workgroup name to the same thing and share files, and viola. I have done all that on these, and from a CMD I can ping the other computers IP address or it's computer name in this case DESKTOP, and it communicates just fine no loss in packets. But it won't show any shared files! I have dragged the documents into "shared documents" but still can't see them. I'm also not seeing the printer.

paratwa

I have read that Vista does not like talking to XP. Vista wants to change how XP communicates and XP has a problem with it.

Search on the web and you will find a lot of people talking about this same problem.

addle_brains

I have read that Vista does not like talking to XP. Vista wants to change how XP communicates and XP has a problem with it.

Search on the web and you will find a lot of people talking about this same problem.

It's frustrating, because the whole reason standards like TCP/IP are invented is so that communication is possible regardless of the platform. But still, they screw around with it. It's the problem that Microsoft has; if they didn't invent it, they have to come up with their own thing. Take a look at DirectX. The only reason it exists is because OpenGL isn't a microsoft invention.

tlarkin

VIP Member
vista uses SMB 2 which has greater security settings and it is buggy as all hell.

XP uses SMB1 which is stable and compatible with all windows and third party clients.

Your share may magically work after 6 reboots, or it may not. Really in my experience with vista it is completely trial by fire.