Xp Vista difference???

macbookpro/vaio

I bought a Sony Vaio FE series in Nov from circuit city. It came w/ a free vista premium upgrade(haven't received it yet, not sure why). I've had countless probs w the Vaio. I have no plans on changing to vista since I finally have the vaio working decently. I don't want to chance messing it up again. My question is 1- what exactly am I missing by not upgrading to vista and 2- when I do receive my vista premium can I legally sell it on say ebay?

PC eye

banned
The Vista upgrade will be a download for that unit only. You can't sell any download legally. All you can do later is sell the laptop itself with the upgrade already installed as a used property.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
You can't sell it on eBay, you have to submit the product cod to Microsoft and then you should have the ability to either download it or have it shipped to you for a small fee. But, you're going to need to take advantage of that soon, as I believe that put a limitation of how long you can wait from the point of the release of Vista before you can redeem your free upgrade.

macbookpro/vaio

Thanks, what about question 1?

What am I Missing? Do you feel I should do the upgrade? I have 1gb memory (upgradable to 2 gb but im broke)and 120gb HD. As far as selling the comp I would love to for I hate it. I had it sold, took $400 deposit from this lady. While I'm deleting my files and after I had already ordered a Macbok pro, I spilled soda on the left side of the keyboard. Now a few keys only work when their covers are popped off and press really hard. So, that obviously nixed the deal and that's why I'm broke cause I'm paying for 2 comps totalling well over $3000.

PC eye

banned
When asked to get an opion on a Dell laptop loaded with software seeing a total of some $2,000 I scratched my head on that one as well as agreeing that the potential nuyer/user would be stumped by Vista at this point. First the price tag could be better elsewhere and XP Pro was the OS the single mom's brohter kept pointing at. She doesn't game but wants some games for her kid when she not using a wireless internet setup. Not too OS savay either.

For now XP is here to stay! The refinements have been done as far as they will go and the softwares are everywhere. With Vista you see "some" claiming to be "Vista ready"? Despite the driver now seen the MCE software for a tv tuner card still fails to completely install let alone run! No software patches!

HumanMage

I was forced to buy my laptop with Vista pre-installed. It looks great but just sitting at my desktop doing nothing, my memory usage wat at 35%...35% of my 2gb RAM was being used for Vista. I plan on "upgrading" to XP today when I order my copy of XP Home :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
It's really up to you if you want to use Vista, agreed it looks great, but does it perform slightly worse.

There are a number of threads saying Vista is better than XP and another whole load saying XP is better than Vista.

At the moment, I'd stick with XP, especially if you have it all working how you like it :)

PC eye

banned
The main problem with preinstalled OSs is the need to wipe the recovery partition for that OS along with any prepackaged softwares. With only the recovery disks there you wouldn't be able to fully revert back to XP if you use the upgrade option. I doubt yiou will be able to take the download and dual OS the portable's drive there by first shrinking the existing partition to create a second for Vista to see if you would even stay with it.