XP Won't boot, flashing white dash

Twinbird24

XP Home computer gets past the POST, but then just shows a flashing white dash after that (the XP logo never appears). I've tried booting up without the other drives attached (there were 2 other disk drives) but that didn't help. I plugged the HDD into another computer and ran a virus scan using avast and I also ran chkdsk. Avast moved everything to the chest except for Win32:Sality-GK, which was located in F:\pagefile.sys, so I didn't wan't to delete it. Should I do a repair install with the XP CD? How would I create a boot disk (there are no floppy drives on the PC)? Thanks!

Edit: I just ran HDD Regenerator and it told me the master boot record is damaged, so that's probably why XP is not loading. How would I create a boot disk?

Last edited:

MyCattMaxx

Make sure you don't have a memory card plugged in.
I sometimes forget to remove my camera card and I get that same thing.

Twinbird24

Thanks for the reply.
No memory cards are plugged in. I just tried a repair install and after the files were finished copying the PC restarted, and instead of loading XP, it gives me the flashing white dash again. Why can't XP boot?
Is it safe to delete the infected pagefile? NVM, I moved it to the virus chest (avast)

Edit: I've tried using Testdisk to fix the MBR, but it just tell me the boot sector is okay. Then why can't I boot up into XP?

Last edited: