XPS 14z Hard Drive Crash

adwxc6

I purchased a Dell xps 14z laptop a few weeks ago. Tonight, I encountered an error message while working in powerpoint (had many other windows and documents open as well) and my computer froze. I tried a manual restart but windows would not boot. I ran the pre-boot system assessment and found error code 2000-0142, hard drive failure. I contacted Dell and they offered to send me a new hard drive, I opted to return the entire system, even though I have had the computer for slightly longer than the 21 day return policy they refunded me without protest.

I am now trying to decide whether to buy another xps 14z or move on to another system. I previously owned a xps 1210 that lasted me 6 years without a single issue, which is why I wanted to stick with the xps, but now I am worried that there are issues in this batch of 14z's. Especially with the ease of return, I wonder if this is a problem the company may be aware of?

Any advice? Should I try again with the 14z or spend more on the macbook pro 13?

M1kkelZR

try formatting and reinstalling Windows. had this too problem is that all documents are deleted so hopefully you made a backup of your important things

wolfeking

banned
how much was your 14z? Im sure we can find you a good reliable computer within that budget.
Also, what are you doing with it? Any gaming? if so, what games?

CrazyMike

I have a 17" XPS that i have had for about a year now. Previous DELL products that lasted me many years. I have yet to have a problem. So when i hear about problems such as this, i say "don't blame DELL totally". A lot of people on this forum hear and see the bad out of DELL. I have yet to see.

As for choice, I love the XPS series. But seeing as it's a 14z..... i would let Wolfking to help you find other options so you can make a choice for yourself. Chances are you paid too much for the 14z (unless got a deal) so i would concider other options. I personally would keep the DELL cause i like the XPS series, depending of hardware of coarse.

Last edited:

oroboros74

I also have had an XPS M1210 for many years now and loved it, which is why now I decided to upgrade to the 14z. I'm hoping yours was just a case of bad luck...

I'm waiting for my XPS 14z which should come in in the next few days. I opted for the SSD. Is that what you got and that caused you problems?