XPS or other laptops?

wizani

I am looking to buy a new laptop with graphic design (Photoshop, Illustration, AE,Cinema 4D) and video editing being my primary purposes for it (a few games here and there on medium settings as well) and have been eyeing the XPS for a while. My budget is enough to buy the XPS with following specs:
15.6-inch FHD with Intel Core i5-7300HQ, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD, 4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

or should I go for other laptops such as:
1. HP Pavilion 15.6" FHD display, i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, 4 GB NVIDIA GTX 1050
2. Dell Inspiron 7567, 15.6" FHD display, Intel Core i5 7300HQ, NVIDIA GTX1050Ti, 256GB SSD 8GB RAM
3. Dell Inspiron 5570 15.6'' FHD display, i7 8th Gen, 8/16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 4GB Graphics AMD 530 Series

I was eyeing XPS for it's superior screen and longer battery life but all those laptops have different configurations that are appealing (and that for a slightly lower price point).
Any suggestions as to which one would be the best purchase?

UnholyVision

"My budget is enough to buy the XPS with following specs:"
Basically $1,249.99 is your budget? I'm adding in Windows 10 Pro, because that effects the price by 60USD? Basing off the specs it looks like you're going towards the G-Series machines.

Are you comfortable with partitioning drives and installing an OS? Because there are other options to get a bit more power with no OS cost. Be it either with a laptop with no OS installed from purchase or a Linux distro that could be deleted. (Which would be a shame to delete, but to each their own needs & expertise).

What games are you playing that your goal is medium settings?

wizani

Are you comfortable with partitioning drives and installing an OS? Because there are other options to get a bit more power with no OS cost. Be it either with a laptop with no OS installed from purchase or a Linux distro that could be deleted.
Yes I am comfortable with installing an OS by myself. I'd like to know the other options but those options will most likely not work for me as I am not in US/Europe. Those options I listed were the best options for the price point I could find in my country. I can afford that XPS because it has some old specs compared to others lol. The Inspiron 5570 has the least powerful graphics card but it does have the 8th gen i7 processor even though it is of the U variant. Again, XPS has better screen and battery life and build quality but is that trade good for a slightly lower spec?

Basing off the specs it looks like you're going towards the G-Series machines.
Again because of my location, the G-Series are a bit more expensive as they are quite new. Even the i5 variants are a bit expensive as it is a new gen processor.

What games are you playing that your goal is medium settings?
I do not have any specific game in mind, just that I'd like to give a few a try as I've not played a game on PC for a while. And the specs look that like they'd handle games like fortnite/overwatch on medium(?) so that was basis for the statement. My primary goal will always be the graphic design work.

UnholyVision

most likely not work for me as I am not in US/Europe.
I'm all for privacy and if you don't want to enclose that information that is fine. Though it is harder to point you in another direction if you can possibly do better for the money. Regardless of all that mambo jumbo, I would have to say go for number one in your list. It has a decent processor and gpu combo. Considering you are wanting to game a little it offers a fair gpu with a cpu that could handle your needs for editing. As an added plus it could help a bit with that Cinema-4D, if you use a gpu rendering plugin.

If you're wanting to save a bit of money or invest more into gaming than option two would be the way to go. It would give you a bit more gpu power and still be a good machine to do your work on.

Option three I would just avoid if you want to do gaming period. The 1050 and 1050TI will destroy the AMD 530..

wizani

I'm all for privacy and if you don't want to enclose that information that is fine. Though it is harder to point you in another direction if you can possibly do better for the money.
I am from Nepal and here prices of electronic devices get way hiked up after import taxes, so unless you go outside the country and buy it personally or through somebody, the prices are way higher. And there is no direct Amazon (or any online transaction) option so it all becomes very complicated. But I will try to find any laptop/configuration that you would suggest.

I would have to say go for number one in your list
So the HP Pavilion? The screen and battery life are better in XPS but it does have better CPU. I will look into it, thanks.

Darren

Staff member
I'd avoid HP like the plague, their hardware quality control is laughably bad and the amount of bloat they install is unreal. I'd take a Dell any day of the week.

If you're going to game a decent amount I'd suggest the second but if it's primarily day to day usage with the odd game then I'd do number 3. 2 has better GPU for gaming, 3 has better CPU.

HP = No

Edit: I see that option 3 has no SSD so yeah I'd say go number 2.

wizani

I'd avoid HP like the plague, their hardware quality control is laughably bad and the amount of bloat they install is unreal. I'd take a Dell any day of the week.

I'm currently using HP-Envy that is about 4-5 years old and though it is doing fine, yeah I do find Dell to be more reliable.

Thanks for the suggestion.

UnholyVision

I am from Nepal and here prices of electronic devices get way hiked up after import taxes, so unless you go outside the country and buy it personally or through somebody, the prices are way higher.
Yeah it seems you don't have many ecommerce there either. Then if you do I can't exactly say buy or not buy from them. However, I did find Daraz, but it looks like a want to be Amazon/Ebay with how it has third party sellers. However, it does give you a few other possible ideas for machines you could acquire at or around your location.

https://www.daraz.com.np/acer-nitro...ce-gtx-graphics-156-laptop-i25678-s79947.html

https://www.daraz.com.np/acer-preda...gen-8gb-1tb-hdd-156-laptop-i24758-s76984.html

I'm going to scavenge around a little bit more, but it does seems your options are limited as you stated.

wizani

Yeah there are a few online stores such as this, and this and this. Yeah the Predator Helios 300 has amazing specs for the price, though portability will be an issue with it...well, gotta sacrifice something to gain something. Decisions, decisions.