Xtremegamer: PCI or PCIe?

JohnJSal

Everywhere I read, even the manual, it says PCI. But looking at the circuits on the bottom that plug into the motherboard, it seems to be divided exactly like the PCIe slot (i.e. three separate sections, short, long, short).

Should I ignore my naivety and just plug it into the PCI slot? It doesn't look like it's made to go in there, though.

Last edited:

JohnJSal

Heh, I actually put it up against the PCIe slot, and....yeah....it doesn't go there. PCI it is, and that should be my last question!!!! :)

PC eye

banned
There's newer PCI-Express sound cards now seen. Generally you will find a PCI model more commonly seen however. At present the only Creative models in stock at newegg are the Xtreme Audio PCI-E models seen at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...360057+50001137+1102631935&name=Creative+Labs

The PCI version of the Xtreme Gamer 7.1 model can be looked over at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006

Once you lower the card down inplace you will know right away if it is a pci type card since that will drop right down in the slot itself. Different models will often see things like plugins for things like a front 5 1/4" bay panel. The image here as well as on the product page at newegg will clearly show what the pci model looks like.

I guess you found out faster then anyone could respond for yourself! :p

Here's what a PCI-Express 1x model looks like to avoid any confusion at a later date.

Last edited:

SirKenin

banned
Genius there can't seem to distinguish between PCI-e 1x and PCI-e 16x which is what you're talking about.

Yeah, PCI-e 16x, as you noticed, is just for VGA cards.

PC eye

banned
Genius there can't seem to distinguish between PCI-e 1x and PCI-e 16x which is what you're talking about.

Yeah, PCI-e 16x, as you noticed, is just for VGA cards.

Why are you mentioning 16x slots when PCI-E sound cards go into PCI-E 1x slots? Looking in the mirror again? :rolleyes:

SirKenin

banned
That would probably be because the guy was asking about the PCI-e 16x slot on the motherboard and all you could do was ramble on about 1x slot sound cards.

Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

PC eye

banned
That would probably be because the guy was asking about the PCI-e 16x slot on the motherboard and all you could do was ramble on about 1x slot sound cards.

Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Where did he mention PCI-E 16x? He simply referred to PCI-E! You're the one mentioning 16x no one else. :rolleyes:

PC eye

banned
Most people simply run a single video card and look right past the smaller slot present on the board there.