Xubuntu is slow for my desktop...

Jhow

Try puppy linux, I don't really know what else to say xubuntu is supposed to run well on older computers.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Kubuntu is highly-bloated compared to Xubuntu. What version are you using and is it fully updated?

G25r8cer

I would try either DSL or puupy as others have suggested. ubuntu and other versions require alot more ram than what DSL and Puppy require.

Edit: Just looked at your specs. You only have 128mb which, is not enough!!! Ubuntu If I remember right requires something like 384mb. As were DSL only requires 4mb of ram. LOL

Also, i have a very similar old system to you. I have a compaq 5190. It has 400mhz proc and 128mb ram. I tryed both DSL and Puppy on the machine. After that I decided to reinstall windows 2000 and it is running even better. For some odd reason win 2000 is running WAY better than Linux.

ducis

slackware anyone? imo its a little more practical then DSL and it still only needs 16mb of ram;)

Last edited:

concorde

Where are your specs? I couldn't find them. But, do you have at least a 500mHz Pentium or better? 128 MB RAM? 10GB or better hard drive? I like to up the specs a bit on softwae requirements so this is much higher than Ubuntu's recommendation.