Y connector?

oriolesfan

Hey, i used to have speakers with 2 inputs on them, for my xbox 360 and computer. But now those speakers are gone, and i use a stereo with AUX as my computer speakers. But now since i have my xbox 360 hooked up to my monitor/pc, i have two audio cables that need to be plugged in. Problem is, i only have 1 of those green inputs on the back of my computer.

I have tried using a Y-connector-like cable which is supposed to split 1 headphone set allowing you to use 2 headphones. But by using that, the audio is not loud enough from both the xbox 360, and computer. So... is there some sort of adapter/connector which can allow me to plug in two inputs, without a reduction in sound?

Thanks

PunterCam

Hey, i used to have speakers with 2 inputs on them, for my xbox 360 and computer. But now those speakers are gone, and i use a stereo with AUX as my computer speakers. But now since i have my xbox 360 hooked up to my monitor/pc, i have two audio cables that need to be plugged in. Problem is, i only have 1 of those green inputs on the back of my computer.

I have tried using a Y-connector-like cable which is supposed to split 1 headphone set allowing you to use 2 headphones. But by using that, the audio is not loud enough from both the xbox 360, and computer. So... is there some sort of adapter/connector which can allow me to plug in two inputs, without a reduction in sound?

Thanks

You need a simple 2-1 mixer, of which there are plenty about. It'll cost you a few bob, but they're always handy little things to have around.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/502.aspx

oriolesfan

Good lord. I've never seen anything like that. Hrmm so that's the only solution? I mean, all i need is like a small adapter to make 2 inputs into 1. It's definitely over my price range, but thanks though.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to do. Also, seeing as green is an output, that is confusing me a bit more :p

Are you trying to connect your computer and Xbox to one set of speakers? Have you tried using one of the inputs on your computer? Say having he Xbox going into the Line-In?

oriolesfan

Yes im sorry, im confusing myself also:(. Right, I am trying to connect both xbox and computer to my aux speakers. I've tried connecting the xbox to line-in, but no success.

I've taken a couple pictures, don't know if they'll be of any help though.
The first picture is of the aux speakers and xbox audio cables.
The second shows a connector im using at the moment which is really supposed to be used with an mp3 player to split the audio into 2 different headphones.

1zny6ap.jpg

29bnaqx.jpg

The_Other_One

VIP Member
No sucess using line-in in what way? I know it'll work for a console because I've used it before. I know in XP it can be a little confusing to get the line-in levels configured correctly.

PunterCam

There are probably some very simple summing boxes out there, but I can't see them being much cheaper than the above mixer.

You can't really just combine them like you're showing - all you're doing is shorting your 2 outputs together, it doesn't work. The mixer is, as far as I can tell, the only off-the-shelf way to combine 2 signals. If you go DIY, it's fairly simple electronics, and very cheap parts, if you can manage it.

bomberboysk

He isnt looking for a mixer, what he is trying to do is use one set of speakers with two inputs at separate times(or so i understood from what i read).

PunterCam

He isnt looking for a mixer, what he is trying to do is use one set of speakers with two inputs at separate times(or so i understood from what i read).

Still requires a device that takes 2 inputs, and outputs 1. The 2 signals cannot be shorted together, or certainly should not be - line out's are designed to work against a set resistance, and I can't imagine any simple 'y' connector provide that. I'm surprised they work at all. A cheap mixer is the logical and simplest choice, and they're hardly expensive.

The Behringer 'minimon' is even cheaper than the thing I posted, surely you could pick one up for $30 or $40?

oriolesfan

Hehee i greatly appreciate everyone's help on this :). This is an awesome site.
Actually, everything now works out well. I was looking through my realtek software and noticed there was a slider option hidden away which controls the volume of the line in. Apparently, the volume was muted. Moved the slider to about 50% and everything works great! Heh, im not the best at computers. Thanks everyone

PunterCam

Hehee i greatly appreciate everyone's help on this :). This is an awesome site.
Actually, everything now works out well. I was looking through my realtek software and noticed there was a slider option hidden away which controls the volume of the line in. Apparently, the volume was muted. Moved the slider to about 50% and everything works great! Heh, im not the best at computers. Thanks everyone

I'm actually amazed! I'll be off to examine my rather shaky electronics/audio groundings now