Yay or Nay?

Justin

VIP Member
Well after months of saving up, I finally have the money for a DSLR. I have a friend who has a friend who sells DSLR's brand new. He's selling me a Nikon D60 with a 18-55mm lens and 2gb SD card. He's also adding a cheap tripod or a carry case. Total cost, $600.

Few questions:
1. Is the D60 a good camera?
2. Is it a good deal?
3. Are there WAY better alternatives within my budget? ($500-650)

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Something that's WAY better for around the same price would be the Pentax K200D, or even the K100D Super

Irishwhistle

yay or nay?

I shall say yay
Ben will say nay
and Bob will say hey,
Pentax is the way

:rolleyes: :p

But as I said, I'm gonna say yes, get the D60 if you like what it feels like. The K200D may be okay, but I know I'm not too impressed with my brothers K2000... it's noisy as noise in low light (and THAT's noisy!)
I do like what it feels like though... well build and very ergonomic.

You could also get the XS (or maybe the XSi) depending on what prices are like around you.

Ben

VIP Member
I shall say yay
Ben will say nay
and Bob will say hey,
Pentax is the way

:rolleyes: :p

But as I said, I'm gonna say yes, get the D60 if you like what it feels like. The K200D may be okay, but I know I'm not too impressed with my brothers K2000... it's noisy as noise in low light (and THAT's noisy!)
I do like what it feels like though... well build and very ergonomic.

You could also get the XS (or maybe the XSi) depending on what prices are like around you.

You assume too much. lol.

I would get the K200D over the D60. Seems to have a lot more/better control over the image and more bang for the buck.

ALSO...Notice the d60 having no LCD on top of the cam! IMO that is a major no no--For if you knew how useful that top LCD was you would sorrowfully regret your decision of buying the d60. But like I said...all my opinion lol :p

The only thing I don't like about the K200D is the fact that it takes 4 AA Lithium batteries. Which really isn't that big of a deal considering they're rechargeable anyways, but I much prefer just one battery. I wouldn't say thats much of a con though since if you ever do run out of power you can buy them at any store :good:

Anywho...just my thoughts on the situation. :D

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Take into consideration that AA batteries give you double the shots (at least) than the regular batteries that come with most DSLR's. ;)

WeatherMan

Just my 2 cents, well pennies :p

bit OT but you can pick up 50 AA (Alkaline) batteries for around £12 ($20)

With my camera 4xAA Alkalines last for around 400 Shots, Lithium around 500, Although they are much more expensive. :)

I recently picked up a pack of 50xAA Alkaline Duracell Procell batteries from ebay for £12.25, Came next day :cool:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Speaking of which, the other day, Target had a deal of Duracell 10-Pack's of AA for $1.99. So we got like 80 batteries for around $17 :D

Ramodkk

VIP Member
But remember that the K2000 and the K200D are two completely different things. Even the menus are different.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
FWIW- I hadn't had a chance to hold my K10D before I bought it. In short it's way exceeded my expectations in regards to ergonomics and has blow anything else I've handled away.

Justin

VIP Member
alright, i won't get the D60. *scratches off list*

I really really want the EOS 500D but that's way off budget. I think I'll get the EOS450D aka Rebel XSi even if it's a bit over budget . My sister has one so I've got experience with it. She moved to Australia back in April so I'm cameraless. :(

Justin

VIP Member
just been given another choice by that guy.

Canon EOS 1000D + 2gb SD Card for $700

is it a good camera? and is it a good deal?