yay

Disciple20

well i went to ibuypower and they showed me how professional they are:D..*cough*cough* horriable customer service and $$$$++++

so ive been looking at newegg alot. i have a idea of some of the things i'd like but i was just wondering about the CPU and Mobo. I play mmorpgs(not wow sorry);) so im gonna go with AMD and just wondering about the mother board, dont know about sli or not, any builds would be apprecited

thanks
edit- budget is around 1,000$ for everything, and a pretty good Cpu cooling fan

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
SLI is for a pari of identical NVidia driven video cards while Crossfirs is for a pair of ATI models. That can get costly for strictly higher end gaming builds if you have the "do re' me" to simply throw around. It took about $1,200 here to see a good mid range build with some extras like a good sound card, 2gb of performance memory, a hefty power supply, and even a good tv tuner/video capture card thrown into the mix. All of that also includes a new DX10 compatible mid range video card.

Along with choosing a good make and model board which is the foundation you usually decide on the make and model depending on the type of system you are building. For an occasional and not all gaming type you would avoid SLI or Crossfire to simply select a half way decent single card and not one that runs upto $300 and more to fit into the budget you have in mind. Some good mid range models are seen for just over $100!

You can still run a single card on an SLI or Crossfire type board in order to utilize other features a particular model may offer. For an AMD cpu you decide on which type depending on whether you plan to multitask or simply game and want a performance model. When ordering for a new build here the Socket AM2 6400+ X2 3.2ghz wasn't even in stock at the time with the 6000+ X2 3ghz seeing a higher price then over what is seen on the 6400+ now at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103191

In the FX series the 2,8ghz FX-62 dual core model is seen at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103860

paratwa

Get the following hard drive instead. This one has 16 meg of cache instead of the 8 megs on the one you listed.
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KSRTL 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136037

And I would find a better power supply. The one you have listed is crap.

I know some people do not trust Rosewell power supplys, but I have used a couple of them and never had a problem.
Rosewill RP550-2 ATX12V v2.01 550W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182017

Do you really need an SLI board? You can get a cheaper board if you will never use the SLI option. Sli is a waste as far as I am concerned.

GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128034

And if you can afford it, this is the best deal for a video card that will run todays games very well.
PNY VCG88512GXPB G92 GeForce 8800GT 512MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133205

Last edited:

Disciple20

I know some people do not trust Rosewell power supplys, but I have used a couple of them and never had a problem.

Do you really need an SLI board? You can get a cheaper board if you will never use the SLI option. Sli is a waste as far as I am concerned.

i was looking at that power supply but then checked in in post here and didnt go with it just becuase of what some were saying.

and yeah im gonna switch out the Mobo, mind posting a good one that'll support everything.. EDIT- haha nevermind, open my eyes

paratwa

I have been re-editing my last post as I have found better items.

And as far as the power supply goes, I bet it was oscary1 that talked bad about it.

paratwa

I am surprised Oscaryu1 recommended a Rosewill PSU. But the one I listed has a higher amperage rating on the 12v rails.

Intel would be a better choice for a system over AMD, but it's up to you. I know you said you wanted an AMD on your first post.

If you wait until Christmas, prices will drop on most of these parts, and then you will be able to afford the better video card.

Last edited:

Disciple20

Ive read around that AMD is better for gaming but i dont know, if it would be better in go with it, unless it is way more money..

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I am surprised Oscaryu1 recommended a Rosewill PSU. But the one I listed has a higher amperage rating on the 12v rails.

Intel would be a better choice for a system over AMD, but it's up to you. I know you said you wanted an AMD on your first post.

If you wait until Christmas, prices will drop on most of these parts, and then you will be able to afford the better video card.

I'm am suprised Paratwa didn't know how good Rosewill was.

Changed. I accidentally put 2. Still, the new one is better.

AMD - Not right now
Intel - Good C2D, Quads.

paratwa

Ive read around that AMD is better for gaming but i dont know, if it would be better in go with it, unless it is way more money..

AMD used to be a better choice, until Intel came out with the dual cores. Now it's a no brainer. Price is the only reason to go with AMD now a days. But I would rather go down a few steps CPU wise on Intel than go with a higher end AMD.

The new AMD chips are at the end of their cycle. AMD is coming out with new chips very soon, and I am not sure if they will be compatible with the current AM2 mother boards. Anyone know?

paratwa

I'm am suprised Paratwa didn't know how good Rosewill was.

Changed. I accidentally put 2. Still, the new one is better.

AMD - Not right now
Intel - Good C2D, Quads.

I have been using Rosewill for years. So yeah I know how good they are. My current system has one, and so did my last system. And I have put them in builds I have done for friends.

I just thought I remembered you talking crap about them, sorry if it wasn't you.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I have been using Rosewill for years. So yeah I know how good they are. My current system has one, and so did my last system. And I have put them in builds I have done for friends.

I just thought I remembered you talking crap about them, sorry if it wasn't you.

Might have been me, but I didn't know squat about PSU's back then. Then I read some of Ceewi1's posts... and then Rosewill came out :p

yeah but now im lookin at intel and its alot more... and i dont wanna wait

What processors?

Disciple20

how bad would it be if i got a crap psu(brand not watt) for a couple of months then upgraded to a good one? it wouldnt burn out that fast would it?

paratwa

hey does case/powersupply/ everything come with all wires and connections from newegg?

They usually come with some cables but the hard drives you buy and the other items will come with cables.

how bad would it be if i got a crap psu(brand not watt) for a couple of months then upgraded to a good one? it wouldnt burn out that fast would it?

A bad PSU can take your whole system out, you really do not want to use a cheap one.

paratwa

Actually, this one is about the cheapest. And it is a decent CPU, it would do you fine until you could afford a better one.

Intel Dual-Core E2140 Allendale 1.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116037

But the one you listed is a faster CPU, it's up to you. Just know that you will be able to upgrade an Intel chip for at least another year. But with AMD, I am not so sure about. AMD is coming out with an AM2+ socket. Older chips will work in the new boards, but the newer chips will not work in the older AM2 boards. So with current boards, your upgrade future is very limited.

It's like me, when I went to build my last system, Amd had the 939 socket out, About 3 months after I bought it the new Am2 socket was announced. So after a year I was screwed.

Last edited: