Yea new stuff!!!

So I am looking to make an upgrade to my PC. Its an Acer (I am not home so I can't give all the exact part numbers but here we go) 3.2 Ghz, 16 gig Ram ( I THINK DDR3) with a 500 GB (I dont think its 1 TB) but storage wise I am fine, i dont save much stuff at all.

I am looking to upgrade to the point I probably wont ahve to upgrade again for a long time. I know, Yea Right in the PC world lol. I mostly play heavily modded Minecraft and modded Kerbal Space Program. I always played Xbox360 but since new games are starting to be on the XboxOne I would rather switch to PC and just upgrade there when needed. I have a 2 GB Raedon Videocard (not sure exact specs since I am not home) which I think is a decent one. Mainly I am looking to just upgrade my Motherbord and CPU. I already got a 550 Watt power supply and my case seems to be standard size so I am just going to reuse it.

(sorry if no links, I didnt see anything in the rules)
This is what I am lookgn at. I have a STRONG preference to AMD, they ahve never failed me and I dont like Intel as a company overall, but lets not get off topic.

The processor I am looking at:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8324286&Sku=A79-9590

The motherboard:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9194718&Sku=RSC-102599344

Does those look good?

BTW the threads about different parts and what is what are FANTASTIC, just a little outdated :)
http://www.computerforum.com/desktop-computers/announcements.html
AWESOME!!!

Darren

Staff member
The forum is in the process of redoing a lot of outdated content. There's a lot of stuff on here that sorely needs it.

I'd wager based of the 16GB of RAM in the machine it's a newer machine with an i5 or possibly i7. Given that your most likely being held back by your GPU. The 2GB part is pretty irrelevant if the card itself is slow. Many low end cards have a good amount of VRAM but are still mainly designed for watching videos or very light 3D rendering. Typically these machines match a pretty good CPU with a pretty weak GPU comparatively.

What I'm saying is your CPU is probably fine and you just need a new GPU. Find out your exact specs and we can work from there.

Darren

Staff member
Also those 9590 processors are not what you want, especially in a case like that. They use an enormous amount of power and thus create a lot of heat. I know you said you don't like Intel but if you're wanting a chip in that price range you really have to go Intel. AMD's offerings at the moment are frankly pretty terrible except for the budget market. This is coming from a guy with an AMD exclusive build.

beers

Staff member
As above, I'd flesh out exact part numbers of your existing system before blindly proceeding.

Also agreed that the 9590 is a waste of time.

ASUS Desktop PC M1188 Series

AMD Aa-5500APU 3.2GHz

12GB Ram ( I was wrong)
AMD Radon R7 200 Series

ST1000DM 003-iCH162 SATA Disk Drive

As far as the motherboard I am not sure without taking it apart.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Your better off getting a better board and a 8320/E and overclock if you want too. You know your OEM OS is going to kick back upgrading the motherboard.

Your better off getting a better board and a 8320/E and overclock if you want too. You know your OEM OS is going to kick back upgrading the motherboard.

I am not sure what you mean about the OS kicking back.

Also, I am not second guessing you guys I am just curious why a 3.5 ghz is better than 5.0.

I went to school for computers 14 years ago and unfortunately stopped being involved with them about 13 years ago when I couldn't find a good paying job building them lol.

I HATE windows 7 and 8, and LONG for windows XP back again but I don't want to go backwards ya know. Ahhh the days of windows 98 SE lol.

Also I have never overclocked and I no less than noting about it.

C4C

I am not sure what you mean about the OS kicking back.

Also, I am not second guessing you guys I am just curious why a 3.5 ghz is better than 5.0.

I went to school for computers 14 years ago and unfortunately stopped being involved with them about 13 years ago when I couldn't find a good paying job building them lol.

I HATE windows 7 and 8, and LONG for windows XP back again but I don't want to go backwards ya know. Ahhh the days of windows 98 SE lol.

Also I have never overclocked and I no less than noting about it.

1. Kicking back meaning you can't use your current OS with the new motherboard.. It'll think it's a new computer and you'll need to buy a new OS.

2. It's all about processing power within the cores. Intel has a much better system and can "pack" more into the processor.

3. Windows 8.1 isn't bad at all, and the tech preview of Win10 is proving very well. I like it quite a bit.

Darren

Staff member
Intel architecture is vastly superior to AMD. My 8 core chip at 3.5GHz is about equivalent to an Intel i5 with half the amount of cores and roughly the same clock speed.

tylerjrb

I'd agree get a good i5 if possible, I would also depending on what the video card is upgrade that too. Doesn't need to be anything special for those games. RAM should be fine.

Cisco001

Based on current machine. The simplest upgrade would probably be adding GTX 750ti.

If you decide to change motherboard.
I suggest you go for intel i5

So if I did go with an i5, which one... I'd need a new motherboard obviously, and my budget is about 300-350. I do want to get into bigger heavier games though. The mod packs most people get 100+ frames per second and when I get far, with lots of machines in the game I often am lucky getting over 20, making it nearly unplayable.

Cisco001

Is your overall budget $300-350 only?

that is not enough.
You will need new CPU, motherboard, GPU, PSU, new OS, probably some case fan. You will be talking about $750. Even with AMD, you are with FM2 socket. Can't put FX CPU

If you only have $350, the most you can do is
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($73.99 @ Directron)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $333.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-13 08:33 EST-0500

However, I would suggest you just get GTX 750ti and a case fan exhaust at the back. Then save $1000 for a complete new machine.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member

Price/performance. Also most of the time you can overclock 8320s to around 4.8 or so, which is around the same clock rate as the 9590 (4.7, 5.0 is just a boost figure).

For the ~$240 you pay for a 9590 you can just get a 4690K and have much better single threaded performance.

Depending on where you shop the 8320/E can be $99-119 easily.

Is your overall budget $300-350 only?

that is not enough.
You will need new CPU, motherboard, GPU, PSU, new OS, probably some case fan. You will be talking about $750. Even with AMD, you are with FM2 socket. Can't put FX CPU

If you only have $350, the most you can do is
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($73.99 @ Directron)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $333.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-13 08:33 EST-0500

However, I would suggest you just get GTX 750ti and a case fan exhaust at the back. Then save $1000 for a complete new machine.

Where there goes all the air in my sails ;-( MY wife and I are house hunting, and trying to have a baby so $1000 is def more than I can spend.

My main concern is getting the games I play now to run properly but when I DO have the extra $, be able to upgrade it more and not need a new processor and motherboard.

:edit: I already have a 550W power supply, will that processor fit my board? If so then I can get away with just the processor and cooler.
I dont play graphics intensive games YET so I feel my graphics card will be fine for now.

:edit2:So I see it will fIT in my slot (giggity).
This means that all I NEED for now is the processor and the cooler right? I am goign to wing it woth my video card I think until I get more intense graphic games. Hell TBH I wasn't even using the graphics card and it seemed fine

Last edited:

C4C

Where there goes all the air in my sails ;-( MY wife and I are house hunting, and trying to have a baby so $1000 is def more than I can spend.

My main concern is getting the games I play now to run properly but when I DO have the extra $, be able to upgrade it more and not need a new processor and motherboard.

:edit: I already have a 550W power supply, will that processor fit my board? If so then I can get away with just the processor and cooler.
I dont play graphics intensive games YET so I feel my graphics card will be fine for now.

:edit2:So I see it will for in my slot (giggity).
This means that all I NEED for now is the processor and the cooler right? I am goign to wing it woth my video card I think until I get more intense graphic games. Hell TBH I wasn't even using the graphics card and it seemed fine

The Athlon series is not APU so you HAVE to have a dedicated graphics card.

It should work but no guarantees about that motherboard since it's OEM.

The Athlon series is not APU so you HAVE to have a dedicated graphics card.

It should work but no guarantees about that motherboard since it's OEM.

Can I try the processor and if it doesnt work just get the new motherboard? Also does anyone have a good recomendation on a motherboard for it?

Cisco001

Can I try the processor and if it doesnt work just get the new motherboard? Also does anyone have a good recomendation on a motherboard for it?

It is best for you to contact Asus and ask if what CPU their motherboard supported.
There is no point buying the CPU and find out it is not working, and have to suck in FM2 socket

It is best for you to contact Asus and ask if what CPU their motherboard supported.
There is no point buying the CPU and find out it is not working, and have to suck in FM2 socket

Yea thats a good point. If it wont work with the motherboard I have. any suggestions on a good motherboard. I have trouble telling what is good and what is just overpriced lol What is ti I am lookign for?

:edit: although from teh sounds of it, if I have to get a motherboard and processor I should go the intel route